Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
jeprue
My Device: Z10

Is there a trick to getting SQLServer express installed?

I've been fighting with this BDS install off and on for a couple of weeks now.  I don't see anyone else mentioning my problem so it must be something simple that I'm just overlooking.  I'm telling the BDS installer to install SQLServer express on the local computer with Windows authentication.  The results window looks like it installed everything fine so I click "next".  I then get to the Database Information screen where it looks like all the information is correct so I click "next".  After a couple of minutes, I get an error screent that says:

An attempt to connect the database was unsuccessful.  For more information, check the installation log files on the computer. 

In the log I see:

ConnectionItem::ConnectToDB: COM Error 0x80004005 - Unspecified error - Source: "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0" - Description "SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]. " - Command "ConnectionItem::ConnectToDB"

If I look at the services on the machine, I don't see any that say SQL Server.  Does my service account need some kind of magical powers to get this done?  It's a member of the local administrator's group on the machine and it has "log on locally' and "log on as a service" permissions.

I even tried installing on two different OSs.  I've tried on both Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2012.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I need to get this installed before someone shows up with a BB10 in hand expecting to use it.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Is there a trick to getting SQLServer express installed?

wonder if in task manager a PID is using 3443

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jeprue

I don't see a PID of 3443.

Please use plain text.
Enterprise SME
-BD-

I believe you should find an MSI log for SQL in your temp folder which may show you what is failing.

You could also try manually installing SQL Express first.  You can find the installer (SQLEXPR_x64_ENU) in your BES10 installalation folder under  /modules/BDS/tools.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jeprue

Tried that too a couple of times.  That gave me a error something like:

Com Error 0x800A0E7A unknown error

Source ADODB.Connection description: provider cannot be found.  It may not be properly installed.

To install this I ran CreateDB.exe BDSMgmtEAS.cfg then CreateDB.exe BDSMgmtBDS.cfg.  I first used all the defaults in those config files then I tried by putting in my host name insteat of localhost.  Same result.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

can you install SQL express first?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jeprue

See my last entry.  I already tried that.  Is ther a different way to install SQL express then using the CreateDB.exe method? 

Please use plain text.
Enterprise SME
-BD-

CreateDB doesn't install SQL.  The file I referenced earlier is Microsoft's packaged installer.

CreateDB is for manually creating the BES database against an already installed SQL server.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jeprue

Thanks. I'll try that. Is there anything I need to know or set up ahead of time or do I just fire up SQLEXPR_x64_ENU?
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jeprue

It's telling me it has "compatibility issues". Guess i'll blow off this server and start fresh in the morning again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, anyway.
Please use plain text.