Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Z1-
My Carrier: 6161616161661

Licensing server is not available

I wanted to trial BES 10.1.2. I have followed a tutorial on youtube -

Titled "BlackBerry Enterprise Service "BES" 10.1 Installation"

I am using the free 60 day trial from BB. I launch BB Management Studio, but get a licensing error when I hover the mouse over "licenses" - 

"Licensing server is not available" -

FYI, all services are running correctly.

"BESADMIN" user has full domain rights. This account was used to install BES.

My test Windows domain is different to the FQDN that resolves to the test Exchange box. The FQDN is "xxxxxx.com", with thw Windows domain being "xxxxxx.local". The name of the BES box is "mail", therefore "mail.xxxxxx.local".

During installation of BES it asks for a pool name. What am I entering here?

Googling "Licensing server is not available" does not give me a lot of information, other than ensuring services are running etc.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of the licensing issue?

Thank you.

On a separate matter, once I eventually get BES working, what protocol does it use to talk back to my server farm? I only have 443 open currently into my test Exchange box. Does the Z10 for example contact the regional BB server first? Does BES simply maintain a connection with the regional BB servers, or are additional inbound open ports required? (FYI, the BES server will have no restriction for outbound ports).

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Licensing server is not available

When I had that license issue it was because of the server name. I had a dash and undersore in it. once removed and reinstall BES it was fine.

BES will need 443 and ports to AD for user lookup it will only need 3101 outbound and interenet access if you are allowing workspace web access. there is also a need for internet access to BlackBerry NOC on port 443 and 80 to get some updates for device types and to be able to publish apps from BlackBerry World.

Depending on how you want data to be routed, you can have it all go through BES or have it spllit for email and web

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thank you for the response.

> When I had that license issue it was because of the server name. I had a dash and undersore in it. once removed

> and reinstall BES it was fine.

The name of the BES box is "bes10".... therefore, "bes10.xxxxxxxx.local".

No dashes or underscores in the name or domain.

Any ideas? Lost at this point.

Thank you.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

is it a VM? did you use a clone with no BIOS serial number?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Intersting. Thank you. It is a virtualbox clone.

I have tried changing the bios serial -

vboxmanage setextradata "2008R2 BES" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "string:1234"

I have then started the BES server back up but the issue still exists. Do you believe a re-build using a new VM with new BIOS serial may be required?

Thank you.

Guru III
My Device:

[ Edited ]

dubba wrote:

Intersting. Thank you. It is a virtualbox clone.

I have tried changing the bios serial -

vboxmanage setextradata "2008R2 BES" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "string:1234"

I have then started the BES server back up but the issue still exists. Do you believe a re-build using a new VM with new BIOS serial may be required?

Thank you.

uninstall , remove database and reinstall should be enough to get you going

Also might as well use the BES 10.1.3 installer as it is newer

New Contributor

I decided to build a new VM from scratch. Not a clone. Issue persists.

Sigh.

New Contributor

Has anyone seen this issue before? I am unable to even trial the product at this point.

Guru III
My Device:

maybe time to look at the logs on BES, not windows logs

Enterprise SME
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Have you verified that the licensing service is started?  If so you'll need to see what it shows in the BES logs.  I would check the FNE logs to start