Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
ppapared
My Device: Not Specified

Looking for input on upgrade from 4.1.6 to 5.0

Hi All,

I'm looking for input on part of my upgrade to 5.0 for BES for Domino. I currently run 4.1.6 for Lotus Domino and want to upgrade to 5.0 and I' m using the MSDE with about 70 users. I want to do an in-place upgrade of my BES Server. The server is a VM on VMware 3.5 

As part of my upgrade, I was thinking about upgrading to SQL2005 before I do the upgrade to 5.0. I read to get the HA and "something else I can't remember" to work I had to be using full SQL and just couldn't let it use the SQL2005 Express that is installed when you do an in-place upgrade. I've read the documents and basically I have to backup the CFG database and then uninstall the MSDE and then install SQL2005 and import the database then point the BES at the new database.

Do you think its worth upgrading to the SQL2005? I doubt my user count is going to go much higher than what we have now. Its actually shrinking  more than growing. I also don't have a lot of experience with SQL and we don't have a SQL admin here to help me with the install. I'm just curious if its worth the time and headache to do this. Our Blackberry Environment is pretty much the default everything and nothing special configured for it. Its just used for email at this point.

Thanks for the input.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Looking for input on upgrade from 4.1.6 to 5.0

Since BES 5.0 is so different, I would set it up all on its own and once tested and running, use transporter to move users over which will not require any activation.

Going to full SQL is a big question. I would not install Full SQL on the BES server. Although you dont have many users I like to keep it on its own separate dedicated BOX or dedicated VM on dedicated drives.

I would upgrade to SQL first. before upgrading BES

KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance

KB17538 - What is the BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V