Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
Silly
My Device: Not Specified

MAPI / CDO / & Public Folder

Howdy,

I can't find definitive answers for the following so hopefully someone on forum can shed some light.  We are in the process of migrating messaging system from Novell GroupWise to Microsoft Exchange.  Already gone through BES 5.0 Docs a couple of times.

1) Does BES 5.0 support an Exchange Resource Forest configuration?

2) What is the MAPI version needed for a Pure (new) Exchange 2007 environment?

(Exchange 2007 SP1 & Rollup 7) with Outlook 2007 client.

3) What is the exact CDO version needed for the environment?

4) Lastly, since this is a spanking new Exchange 2007 environment does BES 5.0 still require Public Folder for Calendar Sync?

(since Exc2007 itself doesn't require the Public Folders.)

Hoping to gather enough info to start installation in test lab next week (05/18/2009).

TIA!

-silly-

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: MAPI / CDO / & Public Folder

If the user accounts in your organization's environment are stored in more than one domain in a Microsoft® Active Directory®

forest, you must configure the LDAP settings that the BlackBerry Administration Service uses so that the BlackBerry Administration

Service can search the global catalog.

Install the MAPI and CDO client version 6.5.8022.

Before you begin:

• You must configure Microsoft® Exchange 2007 to support versions of Microsoft® Outlook® earlier than 2007 by creating

the public folder database. For more information about supporting earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook, visit
http://support.microsoft.com to read article 555851 and visit http://technet.microsoft.com to read articles 123694, 124270,

397221, and 691120.

• You must be an administrator with permission to create accounts.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Silly wrote:

Howdy,

I can't find definitive answers for the following so hopefully someone on forum can shed some light.  We are in the process of migrating messaging system from Novell GroupWise to Microsoft Exchange.  Already gone through BES 5.0 Docs a couple of times.

1) Does BES 5.0 support an Exchange Resource Forest configuration?

Yes it does.

Good article on Exchange resource forest config

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998031.aspx

2) What is the MAPI version needed for a Pure (new) Exchange 2007 environment?

(Exchange 2007 SP1 & Rollup 7) with Outlook 2007 client.

See Knotty's KB

3) What is the exact CDO version needed for the environment?

See Knotty's post

4) Lastly, since this is a spanking new Exchange 2007 environment does BES 5.0 still require Public Folder for Calendar Sync?

(since Exc2007 itself doesn't require the Public Folders.)

Well, If you want to use public folders yes. Bes 5.0, assuming you have handheld OS software 5.0 you will be allowed to work on public folders.  So yes you would be required to have public folders for calendar sync.

Hoping to gather enough info to start installation in test lab next week (05/18/2009).

TIA!

-silly-

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Silly

Ran into following BES Matrix.

Hope it'll help others.  Still not able to find a definitive answer on support for "Exchange Resource Forest migration"... depeding on who you talk to it's "yah... I'm sure there are global companies out there having that configuration." or "Nope, we don't support it."  It's really a "yah, we do support it... but we don't" kinda situation.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

-silly-

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Zervo

If you want to wireless connect your Blackberry to public folders, you can right now.  We are using an Exchange Add on called

Add2Exchange which is pretty slick. It basically allows you to see public folders by copying information from the public folder into the private folders, and then letting the wireless connect sync.  The relationships are pretty flexible, where you can make it so they can edit an item on the blackberry and then let it sync back to the public or just have the info flow only one way.  If they delete an item, it can be set not to come back or recopy it.  It is pretty pricy for their top model, but the Standard (read "Lite") did what we wanted it to do. We are going to upgrade soon because they now have Gal sync with pictures - so when the users call on the mobile, you can see their face.  Way cool.  We don't use that option yet, but I saw it work.  (skeptical as I am)

Right now we have the opposite set up, from Private to public, so the way the sales manager uses it is if users make a contact, a copy gets put in a public so we end up sending blasts to them and we "own the info".  I think even when BB can natively see the public folders, this flexibility will be hard to live without.

Someone said public folders were on their way out, and sharepoint is replacing it, I think BB better get on that!  I did some research witn MS and public folders will be here to 2016 - at least.

the comapny is diditbetter.com I think is in Florida...

hope this helps.

Z

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Silly

I'll check that out.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction and share how you're using it.

Cheers!

-silly-

Please use plain text.