Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
jasoncramsey
My Device: 9800

Migrate from SQL to SQL Express

Current environment:

Windows Server 2003

SQL 2000

Domino 7.0.2

BES 4.1.7

Standalone BES

300 users

I plan on migrating to a new server and after reading the tech docs it looks like the cutover approach will be the easiest in this situation.  The only problem I have is no SA on the SQL 2000 and no $20-$25k to buy a new SQL license.  So my question is, can I migrate from the SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 R2 Express?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Migrate from SQL to SQL Express

check on compatability here

Blackberry Enterprise Server compatibility chart
http://us.blackberry.com/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

this should be all you need to move it.

KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
jasoncramsey

I have reviewed the compatibilty matrix many times and the SQL Express is supported.  My concern is wether it is possible to migrate from the full SQL Server 2000 to the SQL Express.  We do not have a DBA here and I know very little about SQL and do not know if this is even possible.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

just follow the KB I posted, i did it before and worked very well going from MSDE 2000 to SQL 2005.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
jasoncramsey

But want I want to do it just the opposite.  You went from SQL Express to SQL, I want to go from SQL to SQL Express.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

no i went from MSDE to SQL express 2005 to Full SQL 2005

MSDE and Full SQL dont really differ that much with the database files. Going to a new version of SQL has been fairly painless for most peaople. it does look scary though.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

[ Edited ]

PS, I dont see SQL 2008 listed as compatable with BES 4.x, only BES 5

So maybe you should go for SQL 2005 express for now until you migrate over to BES 5, then switch to SQL 2008 express.

garcetto
My Device: procurve 1234

sorry, i just dont get if the migration from sql 2005 to express is possible?
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

yes it is possible.

New Contributor
jasoncramsey

"PS, I dont see SQL 2008 listed as compatable with BES 4.x, only BES 5

So maybe you should go for SQL 2005 express for now until you migrate over to BES 5, then switch to SQL 2008 express"

I thought that would be assumed with my opening comment that I am migrating to a new server.

Current environment:

Windows Server 2003

SQL 2000

Domino 7.0.2

BES 4.1.7

Standalone BES

300 users

New environment:

Windows Server 2008 R2

SQL 2008 R2 Express

Domino 8.5.2

BES 5.0.3

Standalone BES - New BB domain

300 users

Maybe this should be a new thread, but my next issue is I noticed on the BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter 5.0.3 Supported Environments doc the source database SQL 2000 is not supported.  On this doc the source database only goes back to SQL2005 SP2.  Enterprise Transporter 5.0 supports a source database of SQL 2000, but only a destination database of 2005 SP2.  If in fact I cannot use 5.0.3 Enterprise Transporter, how am I to migrate the users from the old server and domain to the new server and domain?