Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
Seba_BL
My Device: BB Curve 8900 - 5.0.0.681
Accepted Solution

Migrating 4.1.7 to 5.0.2...

Hi all!

I'm pretty new to this forum, and searched for a while but couldn't find a complete understandable answer on the following question/situation:

Right now I'm running a BES 4.1.7.18 with about 50 Users connected to Exchange 2007. Everything is pretty standard, no applications, one policy..thats it. The BES is running virtually but that shouldn't matter anyway.

I got the task to migrate the whole environment to the new BES 5.0.2 without user imapct and reactivation of the handhelds (They are distributed worldwide) The new BES Server is running virtually too. Downtime is no issue as long as there is no device wiping/reactivation necessary.

As of now, I read a lot of articles on how to do that and I learned that it has to be done in one of this two ways:

1. Buy a RIM Support contract to get access to the Blackberry Migration Kit. Use the new SRP Key which comes with the Migration Kit to install the new BES and use the Transporter Tool to migrate the users to the new Server. Thats handy and nice but costs me about 1500 € for the support contract...

2. There is some other way to do the migration task with avoiding handheld reactivation, but without a new SRP key and without the Migration Kit. Right now I haven't found any understandable clear documentation on how to do this exactly.. and thats where I'm asking for help from you....

Thanks in advance

Regards

Seba

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Migrating 4.1.7 to 5.0.2...

Get BES 5 express and migrate to it with transporter, then migrate back to BES 5 with transporter.

Its a bit of work, might be cheaper to do it once with a migration kit.

BES Express 5 press release
http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=3546

About BES Express 5

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/express/

Any of the following operating systems:
• Windows Server® 2003 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows Server 2008 SP2 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows® Small Business Server 2003
• Windows Small Business Server 2008

Free SRP, yes FREE!
Free 10000 CALs (2k per server) again FREE!
BIS or BES dataplan will work on it.
MAX 75 users when installed on the exchange server.
only 35 IT policies (remote wipe included)
Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010 suppoted

BES/SBE/BPS 4.x upgrade options to BES Express 5.0

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

another option is bulk mode with transporter. but it is a one shot deal.

You could do an inplace upgrade as well. But i like to have a fresh database when jumping this far in versions.

Might want to wait 2 months if possible, BES 5 SP3 might be released then.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
Seba_BL
My Device: BB Curve 8900 - 5.0.0.681

Thanks for your replies!

Solution 1 with the BES Express sounds very interesting..as I could setup the BES 5 Express with its own SRP Key on another VM and move the user from 4.1.7 to BES 5 Express with Transporter.. Then I install BES 5 with the SRP Key from the now empty 4.1.7 and again move with Transporter from BES5 Express to BES 5... sounds great!

Yes I wish to have a new, clean database... unfortunately I can't wait till SP3 as management expects this project be done until end of march... What new features would SP3 give me in this migration scenario?

How about that bulk mode with transporter... how would you do that exactly..as I'm missing a second SRP Key for the transporters destination..?

Thank you again!

Seba

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

lots of info here about it

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--docsbl... 0 1165637995