Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Migrating to a new BES pair - need help

Good morning all.  I have a bit of a problem and was hoping for a little help.  I have a pair of BES servers running 5.0 and set up in High Availability mode with about 120 users on them.  Due to some missteps of my own doing, I ended up with some bad data in the remote SQL configuration database, and have had trouble getting it cleaned up.  What I decided to do instead is build another pair of servers and just try to move the existing users over to the new database and abandon that first server pair altogether.  Is there a tool out there that can help me do this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All Replies

Re: Migrating to a new BES pair - need help

You can use the Blackberry Enterprise Transporter tool to move user accounts from one BES domain to another without having to reactivate their accounts.

My Device: 8900

What sort of 'Bad Data' did you end up with in the DB?

Did you try and SQL it out/in and that has caused the bad data?

New Contributor

I suppose I misspoke when I called it "bad data".  Here's the very brief story of what happened.

• I built a pair of BES servers, set up in high availability mode - we'll call them BES1 and BES2.
  • I had a logging problem with BES1 and getting a resolution was taking weeks, so I decided to build a new BES1 and just replace it and see if that corrected it.
  • Although named identically and using the same CAL and SRP info, the SQL database saw the new BES1 as a 3rd BES, rather than a replacement BES, and rejected it.  You can only have 2 BES working together.
  • My thought was that perhaps if I did an uninstall of the BES software from the orginal BES1, it might remove all traces of itself from the SQL database.  This is NOT the case, and now my original BES1 is gone and I'm working in a  non-redundant environment.
  • I worked with Blackberry Support for hours, trying to get the original BES removed from he SQL database (without causing a catastrophe and taking all of our users out of service) so that I could add my new BES1 - no luck.
  • I built 2 new BES servers and created a brand new SQL configuration database from scratch, and now would like to transfer my users from the original database to the new one.  While I realize the Transporter tool can be used for this, there is a problem.  When using the Transporter tool, there is a "simulate" process that will check for potential errors before actually moving users.  When I do this, about 20% of my users show a "SlowSync" error.  Blackberry Support informed me that this could cause those users to have to perform a reactivation on their handheld device.  This is what I am trying to avoid.