Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Visitor
Hansle01
My Device: Not Specified

Moving BES 5.0 during exchange 2003 swing migration to new hardware

I have to move Exhchange Server 2003 to new hardware because the old email server is gettting old and tired.  I've been following the guidlines from http://www.amset.info/exchange/migration.asp and the migration is going well.  The thing that has me stumped at the moment is what to do with BES.

So here's what i have:

NEWMAILSERVER (clean installation of Win2003, Exchange 2003)

OLDMAILSERVER (win2003, Ex2003, BES 5.0)

DBSERVER (win2003, blackberry database)

APPSERVER (win2003)

We only have about 13 blackberry users in our enterprise.  Currently BES 5.0 is installed on OLDMAILSERVER and that server is being replaced with NEWMAILSERVER.  The blackberry database is installed on DBSERVER and will remain on that server. 

Can I install BES 5.0 on APPSERVER so that I don't have to install BES on NEWMAILSERVER? 

How do I go about installing BES 5.0 on a different server and what considerations need to be made for a smooth transition of blackberry services to the new server?

Thanks

Retired
FozzieBear
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Moving BES 5.0 during exchange 2003 swing migration to new hardware

[ Edited ]

Hello Hansle,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums :smileyhappy:

Installing on the App Server shouldn't be an issue assuming that the environment in in order.

Since your database appears to be remote, this should be a pretty painless process for you.

A few things to note: 

1.) You will need to install the Exchange System Management Tools from your Exchange 2003 CD on the box with the new BES for MAPI.

2.) Prior to installation make sure that the services on the old server are stopped (set them to manual also)

3.) Make sure that the naming convention for the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server is the same as the old one and just point back to the remote database on the installation.

Most of this information can be found in the following KB:

How to perform a knife-edge cutover for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software

Just as a side note, make sure you don't use third party software for the Exchange migration as this may cause issues for your BlackBerry users.

Cheers,

Message Edited by FozzyBear on 07-16-2009 02:50 PM
Message Edited by FozzyBear on 07-16-2009 02:51 PM

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!