Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
discovery-sm
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Telstra
Accepted Solution

Mutliple BES10 with one exchange server

[ Edited ]

Hello,

My client is currently running BES10 on their Hyper V host (configured by previous IT). I have deployed a new 2008 R2 Guest VM and installed BES10 - all went well.

I then remove the user from the old Blackberry 10 install (on the Hyper V host) and add them to the new VM, provided the user with activation password and the user receives a server activation error. From the logs it looks like the new BES server never sees the activation request but maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Is it possible to run 2 x BES10 installs with the one exchange server?

I followed the install guide and install prereq software.

Cheers,

SM

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
sameer_it17
My Device: BB Z10

Re: Mutliple BES10 with one exchange server

Hi..

You can have as many BES10 servers connected to One Exchange Server. May i know the Error what it says when you try to activate the device.  

Whats the version of the BES10 ? 

Please update the result after applied..

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

discovery-sm wrote:

Hello,

My client is currently running BES10 on their Hyper V host (configured by previous IT). I have deployed a new 2008 R2 Guest VM and installed BES10 - all went well.

I then remove the user from the old Blackberry 10 install (on the Hyper V host) and add them to the new VM, provided the user with activation password and the user receives a server activation error. From the logs it looks like the new BES server never sees the activation request but maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Is it possible to run 2 x BES10 installs with the one exchange server?

I followed the install guide and install prereq software.

Cheers,

SM

You can run multi BES when using the same SQL database and move users between them.

I just had a VM glitch the other day and lost my BES. SQL was fine and installed a NEW BES and moved user over to it.

BES 10 can support like 10k users so if you have more than that or wish to run a second as a backup.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
discovery-sm

thanks for your responses.

I am using a fresh SQL database - and new BES Domain.  The only thing shared between BES10 is Exchange 2010 server and the same Active Directory domain.

I understand if I installed BES10 I could share the same DB and migrate users between, however I'm really hoping for a fresh install as I'm not confident in the original setup.  The old server is 10.0.0a and so is the new. I also tried 10.1.2 on the new VM with the same result. Once things are stable on the new VM I will upgrade it to 10.2

When I remove a user and device from the old BES10 server and add it ot the new BES10 VM, the activation process on the Z10 phone says 'Activation Error: Cannot contact server'. If I delete that users from the new BES10 VM and add back to the old BES10 VM the account activates.

I'm very familiar with the install and management of BES 4 and 5. I understand BES10 now uses Activesync. Is there any additional configuration requirement after a fresh install to set things up for user activation ?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

are you licensed on the new VM?

I would install BES 10.2 fresh and forget about the older versions if possible

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
discovery-sm

[ Edited ]

Thanks all for your responses here. The issue has been resolved.

I rebuilt the new BES10 server from scratch and tried an activation. Same issue.

I waited 12-14 hours and reattempted an activation and it worked.

It's worth mentioning the when rebuilding the new BES10 server for the second time I only installed BDS and not UDS or Management Studio.

My client is now successfully migrating users 1 at a time from the old BES10 to the new dedicated BES10 server.

One user that was reactivated had a problem not receiving any emails. They were also not receiving emails on the old BES10. I looked at event logs on Exchange server and saw event id 1008 which was showing ActiveSync issues for that account. I went into Active Directory, and turned on Advanced Features and clicked the Security tab on the user in question and Advanced. I ticket the box saying Inherit permissions and that user is also now receiving e-mails to Blackberry.

Thanks again.

SM

Please use plain text.