Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
Mgamiet
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

My experience with Z10 and BES10 (BDS6.2) installation - co-exist with BES5.0.3

[ Edited ]

Hello, I thought I would write about my experience with Z10 phone and my Bes10 Installation(Blackberry Device Service). We have legacy 5.0.3 with many users still using non z10 phones. I've been testing the Z10 and, just today installed BES10.

BES10 server installation was pretty straight forward. There are a few gotcha's but nothing catastrophic.

1. Sign up for the software download at www.bes10.com.
  2. You won't be able to download the software immediately - they will send you an email after you complete the electronic order form.
  3. When you get the email you will get a link to the software download as well as some trial license keys - KEEP THIS WITH YOUR SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD IN A TEXT FILE SO YOU CAN ACCESS THEM ON THE SERVER!
  4. Extract the installation files locally to the server - something like "BES10_Extracted".
  5. Make sure you have BDS installation documentation ready to consult during install.
  6. As I had 5.0.3 installed already, I used the same service account for BES10.
  7. Be logged on with the service account you will use.
  8. Do not start and leave the installation as your rdp session may time out and you'll have a partially completed install on the go - do this one in one sitting. (generally good advice anyway).
  9. Grant BES service account "Log on as a service" rights to the server as it doesn't have it even if local admin.(page 23)
  10. I installed all components on 1 server.
  11. I installed database on same remote sql server as my 5.0.3 so my service account already had SQL rights: "dbcreator server role". (page 24)
  12. Near the start of the install wizard you are asked whether your database will be local or remote - I chose remote - but you are NOT asked to define the server name or database and the wizard doesn't advise you that it will request that later...
  13. Wizard will advise you that you will not be able to select dynamic port for SQL server so select default and port will auto-populate (1433).
  14. There is also a reboot which is NOT listed in the Installation Documentation.
  15. After the reboot you log in with the same server account.
  16. I got the error: "Windows cannot find 'Modules\BDS\Setup.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. Hmmm...I then located the suspect module setup.exe in the extracted installation source files: YourextractedLocation\bundle0030\Modules\BDS\setup.exe and ran it manually as administrator.
  17. Now the installation continues and you will be able to set your remote SQL Server, I used the default database name as it's different than BES5.0.3 (BDSMgmt).
  18. I chose create database as as my BES service account has dbcreator rights everything went smoothly and database was created.
  19. Now the biggest problem I encountered (not too bad but just bad design...). The wizard will prompt you for srp keys, cal keys etc....all of which can be found in the license information you got in step 3 above. I have decoded the wizard field requirements at the end of this post.
  20. I liked the "Test the BlackBerry Device Service installation" section on page 36.
  21. Before Activating any users you have to create an email profile in BAS10. You can create users in BAS but with no email profile they will activate successfully on their device but no email will flow. No corporate email will show in the hub.
  22. Add email profile in BAS by going to: Blackberry Solution Management, Profiles, Create an email profile with your mail server details.
  23. Add users and apply the Email profile in the same new user screen (at the bottom).
  24. I was able to activate my Z10 with no problem, in fact it was VERY FAST!

LICENSE INFORMATION FROM BLACKBERRY

Product Download Available
BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 - 60 Day Trial (20 user)

Quantity: 1
Download
BlackBerry Device Service version 6

Number 1 of 1
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXX
License Key: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Universal Device Service version 6

Number 1 of 1
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXX (In BES10 Installation, This is SRP Identfier)
License Key: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (In BES10 Installation, This is SRP Authentication Key)

BES10 EMM Standard for BlackBerry v10.0 - Trial License (20 user)

Number 1 of 1
CAL ID: XXXXXXXXXXX
CAL Authentication Key: XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX (In BES10 installation, this is the CAL Key)

BES10 EMM Standard for iOS and Android v10.0 - Trial License (20 user)

Number 1 of 1
CAL ID: XXXXXXXXXXX
CAL Authentication Key: XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaita
My Device: z10
My Carrier: optus

Re: My experience with Z10 and BES10 (BDS6.2) installation - co-exist with BES5.0.3

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed informaton on the BES 10 installation.

I have followed the steps and installed the BDS and got stuck at the verify screen of SRP host hostname and port number as you mentioned I have entered the SRP ID and CAL key etc according to doc but I am getting error as "connection failed au.srp.blackberry.com 20020"

could you please help.

Thanks

Kaita

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Re: My experience with Z10 and BES10 (BDS6.2) installation - co-exist with BES5.0.3

looks like your firewall blocks the connection.
Make sure you allowed outgoing connection via port 3101 to au.srp.blackberry.com

Was my answer helpful? - Like it please!
Did my answer solved your request? - Mark it as solution :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Visitor
jrhall
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

Do you find the Activation a little combersome?

Just getting some new users set up here and I dislike how the process asks the user to enter their "account" password.

First, it's not clear what account or password it's referring to.

Second, why even bother setting up a BDS activation password? Why not just coordinate the activation with the users' account password since BDS knows about it and is expecting it already.

Third, better yet, do away with the account password and go back to the way it was on BES. Just the activation password.

Fourth, there's no indication that the activation is going through and completing. It just sits there at the account set up screen (with nothing apparently happenning) and a big juicy "update password" text box staring at them. I've had more than 1 user lock their accounts because they were entering the activation password in there instead of the account password.

Fifth, IT can no longer set up devices on behalf of users because we need the account password to complete it!

I hope some of these issues can be fixed with an update. Because so far I'm not super impressed with BES10 compared to BES5. And with that update, I hope some more control can be added to the heavy-handed Balance work restrictions.... Actually, I would prefer if you could turn off "work" altogether. It gets in the way.

PS: I didn't have to reboot my server during install (Windows 2008 R2), so perhaps yours was missing some software that the install required?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LadyOfTheLAN
My Device: Z10

Hello Kaita, I agree with oliwer - it looks like a connection issue to host au.srp.blackberry.com.
MG
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaita

Thanks for the update.

I assuemed that the issue is with the port 3101 block. After spending enough time to resolve the issue I decided to install the Blackberry router in DMZ and then create connection from BDS to BES Router.

To my surprise even the SRP connection failed in DMZ environment. the error I receive is "“10061 - connection refused - The Firewall prevented the connection to Blackberry infrastructure".

I have turned off the WIndows firewall and before that even tried creating an Outbound allow rule for port 3101.

I have configured NAT on ASA 5510 for BES Router to public IP Address and can access internet with out any issues but still the SRP connection fails so I have raised a ticket with ISP to check if there is any block for port 3101 on the NAT IP of BES Router.

Any help to resolve this issue would be great.

Thanks

Kaita

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mgamiet
My Device: Torch

Can you telnet from bes server?

Telnet au.srp.blackberry.com:3101

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaita

I tried this before after installing the Telnet client feature on Win 2008

got below error message

C:\>Telnet au.srp.blackberry.com:3101
Connecting To au.srp.blackberry.com:3101...Could not open connection to the host
, on port 23: Connect failed

I am using Cisco ASA 5510 - so yesterday I even added the ACL extended permit tcp any host x.x.x.x of BES router.

Just to let you know we do have the BES 5.0.3 server installed running with almost 100 Blackberry devices it works fine. I can ping the au.srp.blackberry.com from that server and all good from old BES server.Checked the NAT of old BES on ASA 5510 and added the same for new BDS.

I tried to compare the settings of NIC / IP / FW rules etc nothing I can figure out to get this new BDS working.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Connecting To au.srp.blackberry.com:3101...Could not open connection to the host
, on port 23: Connect failed

looks like it was using 23 and not 3101

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

your telnet command is wrong....
A port is separated by a space not by :

Anyway, there is a tool called bbsrptest in your installation files - try that one:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02068
Please use plain text.