Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
Aermak
My Device: 9790
Accepted Solution

New BES setup

[ Edited ]
Hi, i want to add a new BES server to our environment. We have a pretty old 4.1.6 stand alone running fine but we want version 5 now. What' the best option with the least impact on our users? Can i build a new server on new Blackberry domain and slowly migrate users? Thanks in advance. L
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BoldOperator
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: New BES setup

If you have a spare SRP, or have TSupport, you can do either a phased migration or migrate using the BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter Tool.

With a phased migration, you install the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server software on a new server, point it at the same database, and specify a new BlackBerry Enterprise Server instance name.  After you do this, the BlackBerry Manager will no longer function, but you can administer the old BlackBerry Enterprise Server with the new BlackBerry Administration Service, as well as pull users over into the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server instance.

This has a small risk, since you are modifying the existing SQL database, but if you back it up beforehand you should be fine.

New BlackBerry Enterprise Server install on a new database, completely clean slate.  Once you have it configure the way that you want it, you use the BlackBerry Enterprise Transporter Tool to pull your user objects out of the old SQL database and insert them into the new one.

This has pretty much no risk, and almost no downtime for your users, but it is much more work for you.

If you don't have TSupport, then you might not be able to get a temporary SRP, and you may have to do an in-place upgrade.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

If you bought the upgrade for BES 5, You can stand up a BES express 5 server and transport to express then transport to full BES after.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
BoldOperator
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Oooo, good one.  Yeah, that would work, but only if you don't mind your users having a less restrictive IT Policy while on BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Aermak
My Device: 9790

I don't might the hard work, rather be 100% sure. Our guys will have my head if they can't use their BB's! Thank you! I've been postponing the upgrade just because our current BES server is probably the most reliable thing on our network and "if it's not broken, don't fix it" but were missing out on a lot of new features now. Can you also tell me if ESXI and W2k8 R2 is fully supported?
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Blackberry Enterprise Server compatibility chart
http://us.blackberry.com/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.