Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
leigh28
My Device: did have a BlackBerry Storm 2

Odd 'Profile Installation Failed' message during iPad activation

Hi Guys

Our UDS has been working fine until late last Friday. We had a few users go into the BES10 client on their device and received the following message, 'The BES10 profile on your device is being updated. Please wait...'. At this point the profiles seem to get removed from the device. Some eventually came good and reapplied the profiles, although the message still appears when going into the BES10 client.

iPads that didn't come good that we a attempted to reactivate give us a 'Profile Installation Failed' with the following extra information 'A transaction with the server at https://<domain>/ios/profile/2/2e629d95-1bf7-43db-ae02-5bded82897c5/English/6.1.3 has failed with the status 500'. This message appears just after we attempt to install the Profile Service on the iPad. No profiles are subsequently installed to the device.

If we attempt to activate an iPhone, the activation is able to progress slightly further. The Profile Service seems to install properly, the 'RIM UDS SERVER ROOT_SCRjMXIx' root cerrtificate seem to install OK. It then hangs at teh Activation screen for a while and eventually returns the following message, "Error 3006: Your device cannot be activated at this time...", but 4 Profiles are actually installed, Web Clip, our IT Policy, our WiFi profile and the BlackBerry Enterprise Services 10 profile.

One other bit of information that may or may not be relevant is that our SSL and APNs certs are due to expire in 4 days, but they still are definitely vaild.

Has anyone else ever encountered this issue?

Regards Leigh

Contributor
conito68
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Odd 'Profile Installation Failed' message during iPad activation

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?  I'm experiencing the same thing now.  Both devices are running iOS 6.1.3.

Contributor
conito68

Just as an update, I'm now on week 3 of this issue.  Still not working.  I have 150 users on UDS, none of which can activate again.  

Have had a ticket open with BlackBerry for 15 days, and still absolutly no solution.  The support people are nice enough, but there's it's been a real challenge getting any of these critical issues resolved.

Leigh, did you ever find a resolution to this issue?

Contributor
leigh28

Sorry. No we were not able to get this problem resolved. And have since stopped using the product.

To be honest, we had started losing faith in UDS as viable MDM prior to this happening. One of the real deal breakers for us was RIM changing the liscenising model. For instance, pricing a perpetual client license at $100+ and no longer offering the far more viable annual subscription option.

Both times we updated the server it resulted in a large number of our users devices re-synching their email. Obviously, with 100 users doing this at once it totally killed performance on out EAS server. I could accept this if we had made actual changes to the EAS profile on the server, but we had changed nothing.

Then there was the forced update we had to do to our server due to it not being at a high enough version because of the above mentioned issue. Long story short, we had new devices to activate, downloaded the new BES10 client from the App Store only to find that we couldnt do the activation becuase our server version was no longer supprted by the new client. Every previous client had worked fine with our server until this particular one. A bit of easily discoverable notification prior would have been good. Plus, the fact that you don't have access to older client versions in the App Store (not RIM's fault obviously). It just seems odd that the only recourse was to update the server. This just doesn't strike me as good IT practice. I only want to update a critical system (to the users that is) if there is a pressing need to. We shouldn't be forced to update an IT system just to accomodate a new client version!

We have since started using an alternate MDM solution and I have to say we are very impressed with it. It's pricing model is also far more affordable.

conito68 I'm sorry to here that RIM have still not been able to resolve this problem for you.

Contributor
conito68

Sounds like you were in the same exact situation as me.  I was told to update as well, and when I did, it resulted in a LOT of angry users who lost contact with the server.

For the first week my ticket was open they were telling me the problem is because we were running iOS 6.1.3 on the devices.  I said "we have a choice now?".  What am I supposed to do?  Call 100's of users and remind them not to hit the update on their phone when Apple pushes out changes?

Because of this issue, we're also looking at other options.  The board of directors was not happy about the license changes either, but I really want the new tunneling and sandboxed iOS and Android that's supposed to be out soon.  Not sure if I can convince them of the cost though.

Good luck on your new product!

Contributor
leigh28

conito68

Just sent you a PM.
New Contributor
typeo
My Device: Blackberry Q10

We've just hit this issue too. At the moment we are in a test phase. We had an iPad connected but then had to wipe the device which meant an update to the latest iOS version. Since then I'm unable to get the device activated. I've been through the normal IIS checks, all seems fine.

Contributor
conito68

typeo

Can you post the version number you're running? I've had a ticket open for this problem for almost 6 weeks now, and the only real "solution" I've been given is to upgrade the version. Apparently this issue isn't supposed to impact the newer releases.
New Contributor
typeo
My Device: Blackberry Q10

We're running the latest version, v10.1.1. The device had activated once on this version but after a reset it won't reactivate. No errors seem to show in the UDS logs. We don't get the profile installation message you mention just the Error 3006 message.