If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
tcarlson
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

PLEASE HELP! - Company is reluctant to move to BES 10 - What else can I do?

My company is in the US. 10,000 +/- employees. We have always supported blackberry and I have a bold, previously a curve. Current BB devices will be supported for 2 more years (with BES 5).  I as a user want/need a Q10.  We use Lotus Traveler 8.5.2.

Most people in our company have iphones or androids. Our company uses Mobile Iron to administer security. I believe that Mobile Iron will work with BB10. However, I need to convince my company of this. Our company is very reluctant to upgrade to BES10 (I even told them about the free trade up program).

So, can I get Mobile Iron to work on the Q10? I can side load it from Andriod, correct?  Will Mobile Iron on my Q10 give my IT guys the same security controls, administrator settings, etc, just like it was an iphone/andriod? If they can control the Q10 just like it was an ios/android, they have no reason to continue to say "no" to me.

I really need your help explaining to my company what is possible, and convincing them to at least let me try. Surely someone on here has run into this issue....

In summary:

1) Lotus 8.5.2 user (notes and traveler)

2) Wants BB10 device

3) Company reluctant to upgrade to BES10

4) Company IT guys want security

5) Can this be accomplished via Mobile Iron / ActiveSync?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
GDkitty
My Device: Blackberry 8330
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Re: PLEASE HELP! - Company is reluctant to move to BES 10 - What else can I do?

Not really knowing anything on MobileIron, cant really help that much.
While Android apps CAN be side loaded onto the the BB10, they do need to be converted.. (i have not done a conversion myself).. so weither that software can be ported or not.. may be another story.

With the BB10, the BES10 is now 100% free though.. so at least for management of BB10 devices, would not cost the company anymore to set it up for BB administration (you can actually connect it to your BES5 server and do bes5 administration from it as well).

The only cost sometimes is the CALs.. and they are free to upgrade up until the end of the year from old BB devices.

Also with the BES10, is the UDS, universal device services.  This allows management of android and iOS devices. (can wipe, lock, password protect, set app restrictions, etc).  So it may be an alternative to the other software?

As it is otherwise.. even without the management part (which is all the BES server does now), it should work fine with Traveler/activesync.  Weither all the features will work with 8.5.2 might be in question..

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tcarlson

GDkitty wrote:

With the BB10, the BES10 is now 100% free though.. so at least for management of BB10 devices, would not cost the company anymore to set it up for BB administration (you can actually connect it to your BES5 server and do bes5 administration from it as well).

The only cost sometimes is the CALs.. and they are free to upgrade up until the end of the year from old BB devices.

Thanks!  So wait a minute, will a new Q10 BlackBerry 10 device activate and work properly with my company's existing BES5 server???

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

No, your Q10 won't connect to BES5. BES10 will connect to it and you can administer BES5 from the BES10 console.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
GDkitty
My Device: Blackberry 8330
My Carrier: Bell Canada

John_Clark wrote:
No, your Q10 won't connect to BES5. BES10 will connect to it and you can administer BES5 from the BES10 console.

^ THis.

The BB10 will NOT connect to the BES5, but you can run the BES5, from inside the BES10.

As it is, for email, etc.. you could connect a BB10 to your environment right now and get email, etc.  You just wouldnt have the security on the device.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

MobileIron supports BES10:

http://m.crackberry.com/mobileiron-announces-support-blackberry-10-smartphones

Of course, you can check back with MobileIron to get that confirmed.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tcarlson

freakinvibe wrote:
MobileIron supports BES10:

http://m.crackberry.com/mobileiron-announces-support-blackberry-10-smartphones

Of course, you can check back with MobileIron to get that confirmed.

Right, and I've also sent our tech guys here:

http://www.mobileiron.com/en/solutions/multi-os-management/blackberry-management/overview

However, Mobile Iron reps have told my tech guys that they only support through Active Sync and it wouldn't feature the same security offered from BES 10. 

However, if I can side load Mobile Iron, and give my IT guys the same security as they have with ios and andriod devices, I should be good to go.  Anyone know if my IT guys willl get the same security as they get with ios and andriod?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Mobile Iron can not do anything on your device cause BlackBerry did not open any MDM APIs for 3rd Parties. The only thing they can do is management via ActiveSync - but for that you do not need MobileIron, you can also use the settings from the Traveler server.

You will not have BlackBerry Balance with any other solution then the BES10. Server
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tcarlson

oliwer wrote:
Mobile Iron can not do anything on your device cause BlackBerry did not open any MDM APIs for 3rd Parties. The only thing they can do is management via ActiveSync - but for that you do not need MobileIron, you can also use the settings from the Traveler server.

You will not have BlackBerry Balance with any other solution then the BES10. Server

Ok.  So will the Traveler server have plenty of security options?  That is what our IT guys are most concerned with.  If so, why do they use Mobile Iron for ios and Andriod users, if management/security can just be handled through the Traveler server?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

You do not have build in the Management APIs of the devices, only some ActiveSync policies. Each real MDM vendor (in your case MobileIron) can do more with iOS and Android then plain Traveler.
In terms of BlackBerry 10 devices, MobileIron and direct Traveler is pretty much the same.
Please use plain text.