Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
ambre-ca
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Proxy Profile - BDS/Z10

We setup the trial version of BDS.  Works well but I have 1 problem I can't seem to fix.

I can't get the Z10 to go through the proxy.

From the administration console, I setup a proxy profile to use a PAC URL. I then added it to the BDS instance. Per the PDF, any Z10 device associated with the instance should now use that proxy profile. 

However that doesn't appear to be the case.  I went as far as to restart the instance and then restarted the Z10.  But no luck.  I confirmed that the PAC URL is valid and from the Z10, I can browse to the PAC URL and it asks if I want to download the PAC file so I know that it is accessible. 

Has anyone come across this before?  Other "cheezy" steps taken were to verify that the BDS (and the BBY Router in the DMZ) at the OS level, are going thru the proxy (confirmed), and also set the MDS to use a proxy for push (though I doubt this would have any impact on what I'm trying to achieve)...

Please use plain text.
Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Proxy Profile - BDS/Z10

Hi ambre-ca,

Welcome to the support community.

Can you provide a bit more information please so I can assist you better?

1. Which PDF are you referring to?
2. Are you using this for browsing only or are there other factors?
3. Are you using the Work Perimeter to access the location beyond the proxy?

I look forward to your response.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DominikGR
My Device: Z10 & 9900

Hi,

i've the same issue here ... on BDS10 the proxy profile "PAC Configuration" associated with our Blackberry Device Service instance isn't working with Z10 devices.

Only a proxy profile of type "manual configuration" is working (inculdes our specific exclusions)

Bad, because we have some logic inside the pac file to reach some special web sides which is not possible by using "manual configuration"

So we can't use /take over the proxy pac file from our older BES5 installation on BDS10 today.

regards

Dominik

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB

Maybe it is because you use some special function in the PAC, see:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33673 and
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33676
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ambre-ca

FS:

We're using the PDF in the URL below.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/48971/BlackBerry_Device_Service_6.2_Administration_...

On PDF page 88, it talks about creating the proxy profile. We've confirmed that the users can "reach" the proxy PAC file because if they browse directly to it, they're prompted about whether to download it or not.

It's almost as if though the BDS or the handheld itself, doesn't have the required logic in order to read and parse out the commands within a given PAC file. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ambre-ca

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Oliwer.

This is very disappointing (RIM).  The isInNet() is such a basic function within a PAC file.  Sadly it sounds like it is more than just that 1 function because if we comment out that section, even the other section that utilizes the shExpMatch() function is not honored/read/parsed.

If PAC files were never considered that would stink but at least be understandable. How one can offer the ability to put in PAC files, have a PDF that states that this configuration is supported, but then fail to have it read basic functions... stinks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DominikGR

I agree to ambre-ca...

our pac files includes "shExpMatch()" functions but no myIpAddress() function which is not working.

Seems there is more than one parsing problem on BDS10

regards

Dominik

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
DominikGR

What functions of a proxy file are supported by BDS10 today ?

Is there a list which i can send to my proxy admins ?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
whatson

We have this same problem and require a fix for the missing functions, we have still 400 users using older BB's, if this doesnt work then we cant rollout the new phones.   Support for the BB devices could be revived based on BB10 but the standard functions must work.  

Make it work BB.  What are you waiting for?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
whatson

Is there a fix for this issue??  It's been some months now and the standard functions should be supported.....???

Please use plain text.