Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Question on BES 5 HA

I understand with BES 5.0 that there is a High Availability feature..i.e, there can be two BES servers sharing one SRP key; one passive, one active. If the active server has an issue, BES fails over to the passive node.

Does anyone know how this works? Is there one 'virtual' BES server that can live on either one of the two physical nodes (as in the case with Exchange clustering, SQL clustering etc).

So really we have three servers:

1 x physical BES server (e.g. PBES1)

1 x physical BES server (e.g. PBES2)

1 x virtual BES server (e.g. VBES1)

VBES is the BES server that users actually connect to and is the one that is always up?

My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Question on BES 5 HA

There's no virtual node. Just a primary server (physical or VM) that acts as your production server, and a standby (physical or VM, ideally on a separate physical machine) that can be failed over to.

More information about how the failover works can be found in the Administration Guide.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask before you reboot the BES.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Question on BES 5 HA

You also need to use SQL DB mirroring.  It doesn't work like a windows server cluster.  Also the BES and SQL failover mechanisms are completely independent.  Meaning just because you failover your BES server from one server to another doesn't mean the SQL DB moves with it.

I am going thru this setup myself right now.  There's no virtual BES.  The primary BES runs off your principal SQL DB.  Your principal DB ships log files to your mirror DB.  So thats how you get the DB redundancy.  Then you install BES on a second server, and you can point it to the principal DB as well.  All the BES-related failovers thresholds are configured via the BAS website.  The SQL DB failover settings are configured in SQL.

You can have your SQL DBs on either remote or local.  Remote is better, but if you're strapped for resources local works.  I will give you a pointer though, if at all possible move your BAS to a separate server.  The BAS is a resource hog and so is SQL.  Better to split them up.