Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
mhashemi
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Schema update fails

We're trying to move our BES database from a SQL 2000 server to SQL 2005. We're using the steps described in RIM KB03112. At item #8 of Step for (Type createdb.exe BESMgmt.cfg and press Enter), we run into an error: 

Terminating because of connection failure. Connect string: DRIVER={SQL Server};
SERVER=servername\MSSQLSERVER;UID=;PWD*

Result of call to BESDBInstaller: Problem trying to connect. See log

When I went to the log, it looked like this:

[30000] (01/18 23:51:08):{0x24DC} Schema is being installed
[30000] (01/18 23:51:08):{0x24DC} GetScriptDir - Scripts loading from: C:\BES Install\Database\DBInstallScripts\SqlServer\
[10000] (01/18 23:51:25):{0x24DC} SQL Error Message from CBESDBInstaller::Connect: SQLSTATE: 08001 Native error: 14 Message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]Invalid connection.
[30000] (01/18 23:51:25):{0x24DC} SQL Informational Message from CBESDBInstaller::Connect: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]ConnectionOpen (ParseConnectParams()).
[10000] (01/18 23:51:25):{0x24DC} Terminating because of connection failure. Connect string: DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=servername\MSSQLSERVER;UID=;PWD*
====== END OF LOG ======

What are we missing?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Schema update fails

[ Edited ]

What version BES, BES Server OS and Mail system?

are you logged in as BESAdmin while doing htis?

Check permission on SQL account too

Double check permission according to this

KB02276 - Assigning permissions for a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service account

KB15582 - BlackBerry Enterprise Server might not work correctly in Microsoft Exchange environments w...

What is the BESAdmin service account?
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Solution/What-is-the-BESAdmin-service-a...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mhashemi

We've got BES 5.0.1.58. The BES server is Server 2003 SP1 and the destination DB server is Server 2003 SP2. The mail system is Exchange 2010.

I'm not logged into the SQL server with the BES Admin account, but I am running the command prompt as that user. I verified that the BES admin account has DB Creator rights in the new SQL instance. I added Server Admin too.

I'm not sure why you linked to kb15582. BES is working fine, but I can't use the creatdb.exe utility to create a new database.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

mhashemi wrote:

We've got BES 5.0.1.58. The BES server is Server 2003 SP1 and the destination DB server is Server 2003 SP2. The mail system is Exchange 2010.

I'm not logged into the SQL server with the BES Admin account, but I am running the command prompt as that user. I verified that the BES admin account has DB Creator rights in the new SQL instance. I added Server Admin too.

I'm not sure why you linked to kb15582. BES is working fine, but I can't use the creatdb.exe utility to create a new database.

Thanks.

try logging in to the SQL server s BESAdmin or run it as the user logged in hopefully as administrator and change permissions back to BESAdmin.

it can be fun to use that command on SQL

That other KB is part of a macro I use

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mhashemi

I assume you're asking me to log into the SQL server with the BES admin account. I can't do that, but I can launch Management Studio as the BES admin account and verified that the account has SA rights. This is on the new SQL server. 

In case you were referring to the old SQL server, I verified that the BES admin account has db_owner on the existing BESMGmt database.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mhashemi

Here's a question. In the BESMgmt.cfg file, I've got the server line set to "netbiosName\instanceName". Since I'm running this on the new SQL server, would it be worth chaning the line to "Server = Local"? 

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

using a local SQL install on BES or  remote SQL instance?

My SQL server is my BES server

if have this set

SERVER=local

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mhashemi

Right now, BES and SQL are the same server. In the new architecture, they'll be different servers. It sounds though, like the .cfg file has less to do with where the script is run, than where the database lives. Correct?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

This property specifies the name of the database server that hosts the BlackBerry

Configuration Database. If a database instance hosts the BlackBerry Configuration

Database, follow the format

database_server_name\database_instance_name.

So local should be fine unless you have a special instance set for it.

Please use plain text.