Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: O2

Secure Workspace on rooted Android device

Hi,

Is it possible to add a rooted Android device to the UDS?  I've not blocked anything on the compliance policy but it still detects it and disallows it to be used.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Secure Workspace on rooted Android device

rooted or jailbroken devices are not supported on BES 10

Its a security risk

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor

That's a shame, there are valid reasons to root Android devices.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

name a few please

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess the biggest reason would be to get rid of the manufacturer's ROM and stick the latest and greatest version of Android on there.  I can't speak for iOS as I can't stand the thing.

Loads of people love customising their devices to suit their needs and sometime this requires a rooted device, its not malicious its just a users preference.

We need to start accepting that our users are becoming more techincal and we need to be able to support that appropriately.   Securing a rooted device might be a valid requirement.

Contributor
My Device: Z10/Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi,

i would really appreciate to be able to use secure workspace on rooted devices...you could make it like on the normal mdm connection.

Users who don't want to let rooted devices connect to their infrastructure can use compliance policies to prohibit access...

Guru III
My Device:

you want to use BES to secure rooted devices? that does not make any sense at all

My Device: Playbook LTE
My Carrier: Telus

I second rooted device BES.

The great thing about ANDROID is that the community is so vibrant and continues to support devices after the manufacture has given up on a device.  Prime exampe is my Galaxy 10.1, i paid a pritty penny for it and breathed new life into it after Samsung decided to pull the plug on support in favour of their newer models.

I get its a "security" risk, and i think it should be an opt out by the admin if to allow or not, but for power users who know what they are doing, i say all the power to them!

My Device: Playbook LTE
My Carrier: Telus

Oh one last example,

There are NOT keyboard capable android devices in canada for some unknown reason.

The only way to get a decent android with a keybaord is to get a Motorola Droid from the US but to get it working here you have to reflash it to get rid of all the verizon propaganda!