Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
mvonkdahvo
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Service pack 1?

Just noticed service pack 1 for Fusion (Studio, UDS and BDS) has been released on the 20th. 

Check out the update from: http://us.blackberry.com/support/apps-and-software/downloads.html

Why haven't I seen any news, email, blog post on this anywhere?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stacehamilton
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Service pack 1?

I saw it on berryrevew.com twitter feed.  I havent installed yet but would be really nice if Android device could have Active Sync profiles pushed so that corporate data can be wiped. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mvonkdahvo

Sorry but that's not a new feature. Mostly bug fixes and iOS 5 support functionality.

Android is too fragmented to push ActiveSync profiles. Not all Android devices support ActiveSync natively, hence the reason why you need TouchDown to get Exchange ActiveSync. Some devices have EAS support, but no API to confiugre it remotely. 

Most MDM's do not support Android native EAS configuration. They all rely either on TouchDown or Samsung SAFE API's to do this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stacehamilton

So if one were wanting to incorporate Android devices in a MDM solution, UDS isnt really a secure solution? Good for IOS but not Android?  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mvonkdahvo

I work as a BES/MDM consultant and have worked with several of the most known (so called Gartner MDM leaders) MDM platforms.

In my honest opinion, Android as a platform is not secure and manageable enough yet.

Most "native" MDM solutions (MDM platforms that use native capabilities of the mobile platform) like Airwatch, RIM Fusion UDS, MobileIron, Zenprise, etc work with whatever is available on the platform.

The issue is that the Android platform does not have a lot of native MDM API's. Apart from this, the Android vendors and devices have different Android versions, different vendor specific MDM API's (Samsung uses its own SAFE API's, some others 3LM, and others nothing), etc. This is what is meant by Fragmentation.

The only real option, imho, is to secure a Android device by using a container solution like Good Technology. They offer a BES like service with a MDM solution on top. All corporate data is stored on a container on the device instead of the native apps. Although much more expensive, it is the only real option to secure Android.

Apple offers a lot more MDM API capabilities. Most MDM platforms offer the same, in most cases good enough, security features by using all that Apple offers. The differences between the MDM platforms and vendors is pretty slim for iOS and if you do not need some kind of ActiveSync proxy, control and/or security, Fusion UDS offers most common used security policies, profiles and settings for iOS.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stacehamilton

Thank you very much. Very informative. I suppose at this point i hope BB10 is a success.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
leigh28
My Device: did have a BlackBerry Storm 2
My Carrier: Telstra

I'll hopefully upgrade our UDS tomorrow. There are 2 updates that are key for us.

As per the UDS 'What's new' PDF, 'Allows or prevents sending work email from within a third-party app' and 'Prevents the redirection of work email to another email account'.

Please use plain text.