Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
Soko
My Device: Not Specified

Turning eval into production?

Current state :
Old server (current production) is BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.3, 245 users, 300CALs, Valid Enterprise SRP, Windows Server 2003 SP2, MSSQL 2000 database on separate machine. This machine is displaying a few oddities so I want to de-commission it - upgrade from 4.1.3 to 4.1.6 failed on this box.
New server is BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.0 installed as an evaluation copy, 10 users, 20 Evaluation CALs, Evaluation SRP, Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, MSSQL 2005 database on separate machine. New VM, clean installation.
Plan:
Our plan is to migrate from the old server to the new server using the Transport Tool provided by RIM.
- I have downloaded the upgrade version of 5.0.0 from the RIM website. I will re-install using that version – just overlay it on the eval version
- import all of the CALs from the old server to the new server
- move all users from the old server to the new one using the Transport tool
- the old server will be shut down
- the SRP and Authentication key will be applied to the new server

To that end, I have some questions:
1. Is the re-install needed? Can I safely turn the eval copy into a useable server?
2. If a re-install is needed, can I export the current users and re-import them? That would allow me to completely remove the BES 5 eval install.
3. I assume I can import the CALs from the old server to the new one. Does RIM provide a tool or procedure to accomplish that?
4. Should I shut off communications to the SRP servers during this procedure?
5. Is there a document from RIM specifically explaining the best way to accomplish the upgrade on an eval server to a production server?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Turning eval into production?

Soko wrote:
Current state :
Old server (current production) is BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.3, 245 users, 300CALs, Valid Enterprise SRP, Windows Server 2003 SP2, MSSQL 2000 database on separate machine. This machine is displaying a few oddities so I want to de-commission it - upgrade from 4.1.3 to 4.1.6 failed on this box.
New server is BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.0 installed as an evaluation copy, 10 users, 20 Evaluation CALs, Evaluation SRP, Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, MSSQL 2005 database on separate machine. New VM, clean installation.
Plan:
Our plan is to migrate from the old server to the new server using the Transport Tool provided by RIM.
- I have downloaded the upgrade version of 5.0.0 from the RIM website. I will re-install using that version – just overlay it on the eval version
- import all of the CALs from the old server to the new server
- move all users from the old server to the new one using the Transport tool
- the old server will be shut down
- the SRP and Authentication key will be applied to the new server

To that end, I have some questions:
1. Is the re-install needed? Can I safely turn the eval copy into a useable server? YES but it will send out new service books.
2. If a re-install is needed, can I export the current users and re-import them? That would allow me to completely remove the BES 5 eval install.
3. I assume I can import the CALs from the old server to the new one. Does RIM provide a tool or procedure to accomplish that? Copy paste in SSMS will do it
4. Should I shut off communications to the SRP servers during this procedure? When you buy BES 5.0 you are allowed to run both to migrate IIRC.
5. Is there a document from RIM specifically explaining the best way to accomplish the upgrade on an eval server to a production server?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Soko

knottyrope wrote:

1. Is the re-install needed? Can I safely turn the eval copy into a useable server? YES but it will send out new service books.
OK - so I need to re-install. I'm not worried about the Service Books.
3. I assume I can import the CALs from the old server to the new one. Does RIM provide a tool or procedure to accomplish that? Copy paste in SSMS will do it
Though so - thanks
4. Should I shut off communications to the SRP servers during this procedure? When you buy BES 5.0 you are allowed to run both to migrate IIRC.
Nice - hoping someone from RIM can confirm this, though.

Thanks, knottyrope.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

No reinstall needed

It does not mention in the install guide that you cant run both at the same time and run transporter to move them.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Soko

Yup - just found this little gem: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04927&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Thanks for the pointers - I think I'm good to go now.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

That is a gem and glad to have helped.

Welcome to teh forums :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Soko

Well, I did the migration and everything seemed ducky. However, tonight or earlier today no one can send a message from our handhelds. Messages come in fine (and quick, actually) but nothing goes out. I get either the check mark saying "It got sent!" or a red clock or one of the checkmarked ones goes to a red X after about 30 minutes or so. This is weird.

We did apply some Microsoft security updates last night - that may have something to do with it. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Soko

Gahh. Turns out only my test users are affected.

Is there a way to edit a service book in the device database without going through activation? They all have the wrong SRP in thier service books.

Fortunately,  it's only 10 test users and they're all IT people, so it's not that bad, but still...

Any help is appreciated.

Soko

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

You should be able to install desktop manager to complete the change for the affected users.

Please use plain text.