Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
8obby8olivia
My Device: Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

UDS Installation failed

I'm having an issue completing the install of UDS. After it's all configured  the 3 services fail and the installation does as well.

{0xF0C} CService::smileyfrustrated:tart: About to start service [BlackBerryWebServices]
<#01>[10000] (05/07 15:03:27.020):{0xF0C} CService::smileyfrustrated:tart: Service [BlackBerryWebServices] failed to start. errorcode=[5]
<#01>[10000] (05/07 15:03:27.020):{0xF0C} [CService::smileyfrustrated:tart]: Service [BlackBerryWebServices] failed to start. errorcode=[5]
<#02>[20000] (05/07 15:03:27.020):{0xF0C} CMsiComponent::smileyfrustrated:hutdownServices: BWSBUDS cannot restore the service 18
<#03>[30000] (05/07 15:03:27.020):{0xF0C} CServiceWrapper::smileyfrustrated:etup: About to change the startup type for service [BlackBerryAdministrationConsole], and start it if needed.
<#03>[30000] (05/07 15:03:27.036):{0xF0C} CServiceWrapper::smileyfrustrated:etStartupType: Successfully set the startup type for [BlackBerryAdministrationConsole].
<#03>[30000] (05/07 15:03:27.036):{0xF0C} CService::smileyfrustrated:tart: About to start service [BlackBerryAdministrationConsole]
<#01>[10000] (05/07 15:03:27.036):{0xF0C} CService::smileyfrustrated:tart: Service [BlackBerryAdministrationConsole] failed to start. errorcode=[5]
<#01>[10000] (05/07 15:03:27.036):{0xF0C} [CService::smileyfrustrated:tart]: Service [BlackBerryAdministrationConsole] failed to start. errorcode=[5]
<#02>[20000] (05/07 15:03:27.036):{0xF0C} CMsiComponent::smileyfrustrated:hutdownServices: RIM BUDS GUI cannot restore the service 17
<#03>[30000] (05/07 15:03:27.036):{0xF0C} Step RestoreServices failed
<#01>[10000] (05/07 15:03:27.036):{0xF0C} [CService::smileyfrustrated:tart]: Service [BlackBerryScheduler] failed to start. errorcode=[5]

I saw some one say that they changed the services to run with the local account and not the network service account and they started, which it does for me. My only issue is when I try to install UDS again it changes the services to run with a Network Service account and fails.

I'm guessing I need to finish the installation of UDS to run this all properly rather than try to start setting it up half cut and running the services with the local system account?

Any assistance with this would be great.

Thanks,

Bobby

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Re: UDS Installation failed

Bobby,

What account are you logged in with?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
8obby8olivia

Domain Admin... should I be with my Bes Admin account?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
paulfaz
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: 02

If it helps, mine are running as Network Service.

Also, i logged on with our BESADMIN account, and as we are using UAC had to right click, run as administrator for the installation.

The installation completed and all services are running, its a working deployment.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
quikslvr311
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

I've had the same issue and have rebuilt my servers many times since.  The ONLY time I wasn't able to get things installed normally (under a network service) was when I had AV software installed on the server prior to installation of UDS.  With this setup, I had to change the service mid-install to the local admin account I was logged in with to complete the installation successfully. 

Every other time I have rebuilt my UDS servers, I installed without the AV software installed and was able to complete installation like normal with the network service assigned for all BBMF services. 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Error code 5 is access denied.  

What happens when you manually try to start the services?  I'm assuming you still get access denied.  The network service with a default install of windows should have all the permissions it needs to start any local service on the box.

What are the effective permissions for the Network Service account for one of these executables?  To find this go to c:\program files (x86)\research in motion\universal device services\scheduler and right-click rim.buds.service.exe and go to properties.  Then click the security tab, advanced and effective permissions.  Press select and add Network Service. 

Which permissions are checked and which are unchecked?   I am able to recreate this error by selectively denying these permissions.

I've looked at this for another customer and there were several permissions missing which appeared to be getting inherited from the \program files (x86)\ directory. 

If you want to see exactly what is getting access denied I'd suggest running a procmon (MS utility) capture taken while one of the services attempts to start.  This will show you what file got Access denied and what it was trying to do when it happened.  This will help you track down the permissions issue.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
8obby8olivia

This worked after I rebuilt my servers. I have no AV on the server so I don't know why this became an issue for me but after starting the services manually under the local account it installed successfully.

Please use plain text.