Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
javajunkee
My Device: Blackberry 8900

UDS and Android

I installed UDS on it's own server for testing. Configured some basics and am attempting to activate an Android device (Samsung Galaxy S on T-Mobile.

Everthing appears to work correctly on the server side, i.e. I've created a policy, ActiveSync Profile, can add a user, send an Activation e-mail, etc.

On the Android device, the atication appears to complete. The Policy is applied, however I do not see the Active Sync profile. I've also setup a VPN profile which is not making it to the phone.

I'm at a loss as to where to start looking, which logs to check?

To recap, server appears to be running OK, Android phone appears to activate successfully, however no Profiles get set up. 

---------------------------------------------------------
BES 5.0.3 MR 8 (Bundle 256)
-Server 2008 SP2 64-bit Standard (ESX 4)
Exchange 2010 SP2
-Server 2008 SP1 64-bit Enterprise
New Contributor
bhodder
My Device: iPhone 4S

Re: UDS and Android

Hi,

Mobile Fusion does not support EAS profiles on Android...... Other MDMs on the market say they support Android ActiveSync.... but what they actually mean is they support sending an ActiveSync profile to the "TouchDown for Exchange" application, which sort of misses the point.

I know this doesnt help..... but tis what it is.

Cheers!

Contributor
javajunkee
My Device: Blackberry 8900

Interesting,

So the RIM Mobile Fusion App for Android, which has a tab for Profiles (amongst other tabs), does not support an EAS profile? Nice!

---------------------------------------------------------
BES 5.0.3 MR 8 (Bundle 256)
-Server 2008 SP2 64-bit Standard (ESX 4)
Exchange 2010 SP2
-Server 2008 SP1 64-bit Enterprise
Contributor
leigh28
My Device: did have a BlackBerry Storm 2

I guess the Mobile Fusion app is generic in nature to cover both Android and iOS. The Universal Device Service does support pushing EAS Profile to devices, just not Android devices.

I was also very surprised to see that virtually no policy could be pushed to Android devices.

New Contributor
bhodder
My Device: iPhone 4S

I would like to think they RIM will support more Android features once ICS is in wide circulation.... as current Android flavors are not really enterprise ready....

List of things I would like to see in fusion/UDS/BDS

1. EAS proxy 

2. EAS Profiles for Android (Native Android Experience)

3. Cloud based offering, to rid us of having to use 3 servers. (BES,UDS,BDS)

4. Fusion Client to Support BBM and Blackberry Browser.

5. Would be great if non-RIM devices could use the Blackberry network for Enterprise traffic? This would be a win for the telcos already running out of bandwidth... and a win for customers paying through the nose for data?

The above features would kill any other MDM offering out there, and would put RIM back at the forefront of enterprise mobility IMHO.

Cheers.

New Contributor
Xayinn
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

It seems that Fusion SP1 supports sending ActiveSync profiles to Android, but also in combination with TouchDown (see the Universal Device Service Upgrade Guide, p. 15, Software requirements: Email profiles).

Although the TouchDown app seems nice, and it works really well together with the ActiveSync Profile from the UDS, you need to cough up another €15 per licence...

I do hope that Fusion will support the native Android ActiveSync client in the future...

Contributor
martinpas
My Device: 8520

Did you try SP2?

it should work now.

Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB

It works only for some Motorola Devices cause they implemented Motorola's API. Android does not have a native EAS API, so each vendor has to integrate his own.
I guess its only a matter of time when RIM will implement Samsungs API for EAS Profiles.
New Developer
trafsta
My Device: Not Specified

Hmm wow we are implementing BDS and UDS here at our company, and BDS is working well, UDS is working wel with iOS, but for Android (we're using Samsung S3's and Rugby LTE's) we really expected the EAS Profiles to work with the Samsung Email client which supports Exchange ActiveSync. I'd imagine Samsung is the most popular Android phone used in the business world so I really hope this is supported soon. For now we'll just stick with BlackBerry Z10's and iPhone's I guess. I really hope to see better control over Android devices soon (everyone in our I.T. department use Android lol... everyone else seem to want BB Z10 and iPhone so perhaps this won't be a HUGE hurdle... but it would be nice to have better control even over the I.T. department staff...).