Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
mirparx
My Device: Curve 8520

UDS policy and appstore hiding

Hi,

I'm trying to design a policy for iPAD management through UDS.

I would like users not to be able to see the AppStore, and I can do that easily through IT policies.

The issue is doing that I'm not able anymore to update/push application from UDS.

I hope there is a way to say : user cannot see the AppStore but you can anyway manage apps. configuration from UDS management console withouth the need to distribute application yourseld... is there anyone that can help me on this?

Thanks a lot

Mirko

Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB

Re: UDS policy and appstore hiding

No chance...
But you can use compliance rules to force them to uninstall the apps that you did not approve.
Contributor
mirparx

Ok, thanks.

I see it quite difficult to give users a "toy" like a tablet with appstore enabled and say them "hey, you have it with all your preferred apps, but pelase do not install anything otherwise i will delete all your data"...

Hope RIM find a way to hide but leave it open for install request coming from the Mobile Fusion Client

Forums Advisor I
oliwer

when u say "hey, you have it with all your preferred apps" how could u even consider to disable the appstore? Do you really want to add all the apps to a list on the MDM? sounds like you have either nothing else to do or you have enough apprentices :smileywink:
Contributor
mirparx

Sorry the misunderstanding.... I mean leaving the appstore enabled is equivalent to say "hey, here you have all the apps...."  So I see conflictual having the appstore unlocked, not preventing the apps. installation but deleting data if not approved apps are installed....

Forums Advisor I
oliwer

Not everything can be solved on a tech level, but has to solved on an org level. you dont have to delete the device, you can send them emails pointing out that they have apps installed that are not allowed and untrust the device if they do not remove the app in an appropriate timeframe. If untrusted the device is still manageable but will not receive mails anymore until it is comliant again (should work, not tested).
Contributor
mirparx

Apart the fact that my idea is that Technology should make things simple....

In any case, I see tech issues here, as from iPAD log I see the Mobile Fusion Client  trying to force required apps installation and Mobile Fusion Client  preventing himself from installing required application....

Apart that, I hope RIM will provide a new feature allowing the installation of applications managed in MDM even if AppSore in hidden...

Forums Advisor I
oliwer

[ Edited ]

The wording is bad. Hidden means disabled...

Edit: Just checked iPCU - you cannot hide the appstore, just disallow the it. And until Apple will not provide a better way all MDM vendors cannot provide a solution for you.

Contributor
mirparx

Yes, I came to the same solution looking to various forums on internet.

Thanks a lot for your support