Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
enigma82
My Device: Not Specified

Upgrade Licences

We currently have a BES 4.1 server installed on a Windows Server 2003 machine. We need to move BES to a Server 2008 machine and as we have just found out 4.1 does not run on Server 2008, so we are going to have to use 5.0. What I need to know is, will out current licences work with 5.0 or do we need to purchase new licences. If we do need new licences is that both the server licences and the client licences, and is there any sort of upgrade licence?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Upgrade Licences

Once you buy the upgrade, the old licenses will be able to be used on the new server.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
enigma82

ok, what I really meant was can I download the v5.0 trial and install it and then use our exisiting 4.1 keys to convert to a full version or do I need to buy new keys?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

You need to buy 5.0 upgrade and it will use your old CALs

Upgrade to new version is about $999.00 USD

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/5/upgrade.jsp

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stouf

ok, what I really meant was can I download the v5.0 trial and install it and then use our exisiting 4.1 keys to convert to a full version or do I need to buy new keys? 

I'm not sure it works ...

You need to buy a software upgrade (less than 1000$) ,  You do not need to buy a new license keys

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

You can KNOT upgrade with a trial, the SRP will expire and you will have nothing.

4.0 to 4.1 or 5.0 is a paid upgrade period. There is no way around it. It is all tied to your SRP.

You buy the upgrade and your SRP is what get upgraded to BES 5.0.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stevepasq

enigma82,

I you have a support contract then you don't have to pay for the upgrade. If you want to upgrade using a new server and same DB you can request a migration kit from customer server that will give you a new SRP# and allow you to run both servers side-by-side for 90 days while you migrate users. Once the 90 days are up your old SRP# will expire and only the new will be valid. The exisiting keys stay in the DB.

Please use plain text.