Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Upgrade device OS

We have BES 5 and Curve 8900 handsets. The handset OS is currently  version 4.6 but we'd like to uograde to version 5. We've downloaded the new OS but cannot update the hadsets. I've tried to do it from Desktop Manager but it says that the handset is registered with BES and to contact our administrator - that's me. I've checked the BlackBerry website but can't find any useful instructions on how to do this.

We would like to upgrade the handsets from Desktop Manager, can anyone help with clear settings I need to make on the BES and handset?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Upgrade device OS

I skip desktop manager and use loader.exe

Also be aware that the older apps might not work with OS 5.0 correctly, best to download the new versions after.

I wipe them (including all aps) after a backup

Then I do these steps.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. If its not a carrier supported OS, go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in device and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.
Once done I pull battery while on and reinsert it to get proper service books, possible the unit will go through a activation, if not then activate and reinstall apps.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V