Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
Rudiger
My Device: Not Specified

Using Blackberry Transporter between different Email Organizations

Hi everyone.  Thanks for reading.

I have just successfully used the Blackberry Transporter to migrate 17 users from one BES Express to another BES Express on new hardware.  The new server had new hardware and had a new BES Database.  Excellent tool.  Did exactly what it was supposed to do.

I have a much bigger client with  much bigger issues and want to know if this is going to be possible.

Basically we have 2500 blackberry devices.  They are on an Exchange 2010 server and are currently spread across 4 to 5 BES Enterprise servers.  These servers are in a physical server hosting environment.

We are moving away from that company and setting up all new gear at a different location.

The usernames and email adresses will be the same but not only will it be a different Blackberry domain, it will also be a totally new exchange organization,

The method the current IT manager has in place is that each of the 2500 users is contacted via phone to wipe their unit and rejoin the new setup.  This is taking forever.

So, here is my question.  Can I use the Transporter tool to move the current BB users to the new organization, without them having to wipe their handsets?  It would be done via VPN (Yes slow I know) and 20 users at a time but it would be far quicker than the process in place.

I see many issues.  Between one BB domain and another is one thing, but where its a totally different exchange, I am not so sure.  Obviously I will test it with 10 test users first and this will answer my question but I am hoping someone has already done this.

Thanks in advance.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Using Blackberry Transporter between different Email Organizations

you cant use transporter with a new exchange org

bnator does have a tool to do it but is not free

http://www.bnator.com/bn_english/contact.html

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

cellfoneby
My Device: 9900

If you plan to migrate users across messaging systems and you have a good number of devices and can't afford downtime and need simplicity in your migration, BNAOTR is for you.   I used it for 10000 user domino to exchange 2010 migration and although had some hiccup it allowed us to automate a bunch of very manual and brutally manual tasks.

Yes, it will cost a little up front depending on user counts but I can tell you from hands on recent experience, you don't want to do it manually if you can both afford it and and have the option to automate most of it.

I say most of it as there 8 steps and one step you CANT automate no mater what.  BNATOR helps though to make that one step easier.  THat is from the device wipe on the source domain to the new activation on the destination domain.  The user will have to enter a EA no matter what but you can take steps to automate the password to the  new device without A BES connection and simplify password and what not to make it so the user can enter the new EA and keep the rest of the process going .

I can save you time an grief.  No I don't work for Bnator.  I don't work for BB.  I am jus t the poor sole stuck leading the migration effort on the BlackBerry side and got through the pain.  More than happy to help save you the pain.

Why endure it if you can go around it.

www.onlylolz.com
New Contributor
czanni
My Device: 8520

[ Edited ]

This is not true at all.

You don't have to spend a dime to do this, just use the free tools provided by RIM.

You can still use Transporter and then the BES utility, handheldcleanup.exe -u USERNAME

This will update automatically 2 fields in your new BES database, table UserConfig: MailboxDN y ServerDN with your new AD domain/Exchange Organization.

That is because Transporter do not work with cross-forest migrations: after the migration, DN address are still pointing to your previous forests/exchange organization.

We faced this same issue and this workaround works perfectly.
Moreover, the user didn't lost any email before, during, and after the process.

So, your procedure will be:
- Migrate the user
- Migrate the mailbox
- Use transporter
- Use handlheldcleanup.exe

Note: To apply the new config, you must restart the BES service so maybe you should evaluate to do this as a bulk operation.

I really don't know why this approach isn't covered in RIM forums.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

czanni wrote:

This is not true at all.

You don't have to spend a dime to do this, just use the free tools provided by RIM.

You can still use Transporter and then the BES utility, handheldcleanup.exe -u USERNAME

This will update automatically 2 fields in your new BES database, table UserConfig: MailboxDN y ServerDN with your new AD domain/Exchange Organization.

That is because Transporter do not work with cross-forest migrations: after the migration, DN address are still pointing to your previous forests/exchange organization.

We faced this same issue and this workaround works perfectly.
Moreover, the user didn't lost any email before, during, and after the process.

So, your procedure will be:
- Migrate the user
- Migrate the mailbox
- Use transporter
- Use handlheldcleanup.exe

Note: To apply the new config, you must restart the BES service so maybe you should evaluate to do this as a bulk operation.

I really don't know why this approach isn't covered in RIM forums.

while that might be nice who is going to support it once they try it and it fails?

how do you connect to both SA accounts with diff credentials?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
czanni
My Device: 8520

knottyrope wrote:

while that might be nice who is going to support it once they try it and it fails?

how do you connect to both SA accounts with diff credentials?

That is a good point, but, ¿Why RIM is not supporting their own tools?

¿Why this doc says that there is "no workaround" when we know this one?

Anyway, which could be your worst case scenario? I think that you always have the wipe device option...

Regarding your last question, you can set different SA accounts (source, target) in the Transporter Tool manifest.