Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
aetius80
My Device: 8310

Windows Patching BES 5.0.2 for 2008 R2

Hi,

I need to apply windows patches to my BES. We're running BES 5.0.2 on a 2008 r2 Ent box, I'd just after some advice on patches will not break the BES. I'm planning to install all security and critical updates, other than those relating to SQL or .net upgrades.

I have access to the BES, but not exchange 2010. Am I right in thinking I can download and install all the patches mentioned above, reboot, making sure services are ok as normal?

thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Windows Patching BES 5.0.2 for 2008 R2

Here are some that might get you in a bind. SP3 for BES will resolve most of these.

using 2008 Global catalogs?
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17325

BAS wont open on 2008 R2
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB23927

Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2534366)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2534366

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aetius80

Thanks for the reply, we only want to install windows updates at the moment, so I'll choose to take a backup image of the BES beforehand and avoid the patches you specifically mentioned.

If I did upgrade the service pack  on the BES, I take it I'd need to upgrade the mapi and CDO versions on Exchange as well?

thx

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

aetius80 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, we only want to install windows updates at the moment, so I'll choose to take a backup image of the BES beforehand and avoid the patches you specifically mentioned.

If I did upgrade the service pack  on the BES, I take it I'd need to upgrade the mapi and CDO versions on Exchange as well?

thx

No need to touch Exchange. Mapi is for BES only to talk to exchange unless BES is installed on Exchange. Then you only install CDO.

Most likely you dont need to touch CDO/MAPI when doing a service pack since it already works with your current version of exchange.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aetius80

Cool, thanks for the advice.

I'm planning on taking a wmare clone before applying windows patches as a possible rollback candidate. Can you see if any issues in reverting back to the vmware clone if the BES gets broken by a windows update?

Obviously I won't have the clone and the BES on at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I dont see why it would not work.

Please use plain text.