Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
jwasserberg
My Device: Curve 9330

accessible from the outside

Is it evident to anyone else from the supplied documentation that your UDS server needs to be in a DMZ so it can be accessed from the outside?  It makes total sense but very little is noted in the documentation about this.  After spending 4 hours with BES support on the phone yesterday I'm really discouraged about ths product.

Contributor
unpp
My Device: 9900

Re: accessible from the outside

If you can point out what doesn't make sense in this documentation i'm sure someone can help you.

page 10 of the install guide for ports on the communication server (see external):

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/40315/Universal_Device_Service-Installation_and_Con...

page 9 of feature and tech overview for a diagram of a DMZ install:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/40316/Universal_Device_Service-Feature_and_Technica...

Contributor
leigh28
My Device: did have a BlackBerry Storm 2

Our UDS is definitely not sitting in our the DMZ and is communicating fine. You just need to ensure that the SSL traffic can get through from the outside to the UDS server.

Couldn't you potentially have more issues with it being in a DMZ, like EAS communication?

Contributor
quikslvr311
My Device: Blackberry Bold

In my Fusion setup, I have the UDS core/console services installed on a box on my local lan and the communication module for UDS in the DMZ, and all works fine.  As long as you have all the appropriate ports opened to/from the box on your local LAN, and outbound from the box in the DMZ you should be good.

New Contributor
jwasserberg
My Device: Curve 9330

I have a wildcard cert from Digicert installed on my UDS server but still no dice.  Where did you get your cert from?  did you purchase it specificlly for your UDS server?

Contributor
quikslvr311
My Device: Blackberry Bold

[ Edited ]

I'm using a Digicert UC cert and have no issues.  As long as the CN for your cert is the externally accessible DNS record you should be ok.  I have other domains on that cert too and have no issues.

I uploaded the CSR from IIS7 to digicert and exported the server certificate (in crt format instead of cer, as there is a IIS7 bug for .cer cert imports) and all was well.  Then you export the certificate from IIS with a password and use it to continue through the UDS communication module install.