Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
nadcyrus
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Digicel

bes 10 and public folders

Hi everyone.

Does BES 10 suport exchange public folders? we have a several thousand contacts in multiple publfic folder contact folders. These were synched sing bes5 to devices. Now with Bes10 and z10 I am trying to figure out a way to synch public folders. I sthis possible?

Nad

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
-BD-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: bes 10 and public folders

BES10 uses ActiveSync for the connection to Exchange which doesn't support public folder synchronization

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nadcyrus

why the shift from core bes codebase that did it all to activesync which has a subset of the functionaility? isnt this regression? what is the plan for all the clients with public folder contacts who synced?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

micosoft is pushing away from public folders too, they want people to use share point instead

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ademaio53
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm also looking for an answer to this.

I can't believe that so few companies aren't concerned about public contacts.  Public contacts is the whole reason we moved to Blackberry in the first place.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

But you can use Global Address List or a good CRM system instead
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nadcyrus

global contact list is for organization-wide contacts. not the place to put all and sundry.

CRM is an additional upfront and maintenance cost and unjustified.

I'm not trying to be critical but after 2 years of doing nothing, i am flabergasted that Blackberry would come back to market with a new sexy phone and destroy the solid back end they butl up. the reason people have been loyal is because of BES primarily. Throw that away and there is simply not much competitive advantage. To remove public folders now means in order for us to get those contacts on to devices, we now need to replicate with individual user conact folders which creates seveal instances of the same contact and adds to server processing to manage changes. of course data storage consumption goes up. This is a major disappointment. I hope they rethink this strategy. Microsoft isnt abanonding public folders over night and neitehr should Blackberry. think transition here people! SIGH!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ademaio53
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

This absolutely blows my friggin' mind. How can public contacts not be supported? Public folders work so nicely and simply. Anyone one can edit and add contacts and everyone company wide and view them. No need to hunt down a phone number in the event of an emergency, just type the name in your phone and BOOM there it is. We can't be the only company that relies on this feature on a daily basis. How can Blackberry drop the ball on this.

I am absolutely floored. What the hell are we supposed to do now? This is the reason we use Blackberry. If we have to implement software to make this work with Active Sync, then I have no reason to stick solely with Blackberry and might as well let everyone use whatever device they want.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

There is so much more then public contact folder that makes BB worth.
But Public Folder is not supported by ActiveSync. It is not BlackBerry that put that feature out, it is MS which never released Public Folder support for EAS,
BlackBerry pulled much more features out of ActiveSync then anyone else. Why you do not ask MS for bringing Public Folders to ActiveSync? I'm pretty sure BlackBerry will implement that as soon as this is possible.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nadcyrus

I agree that it is MS that controls active sync. However, it was Blackberry that made the choice to abandon their platform and use activesync. I can't say i agree with that as it doesnt offer any competitive advantage with andorid or IOS. They owned/controlled their own platform...why ditch it for Microsoft's? If they are intent on using activesync, surely they could intriduce another option for clients tht use public folder contacts. If you are going to make such a drastic change, give people a heads up and provide a suitable alternative or phase it out.

The samsung s4 is soon going to be on sale. what is the compelling reason to tell my staff to go with BB over that or iphone 5 now? the good old reasons blackberry has ripped from our grasp.

WE love blackberry. Love the z10. we just want our old functionality back...is that too much to ask for? lol

Please use plain text.