Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
ronbold9700
My Device: Z10

Re: bes 10 and public folders

I've been working on "work-arounds" for months; ever since I found out what BBX wasn't going to do.

Even the public folder app for iPhone isn't perfect.  The users can see the contents of th public folder contents (n my case it's just contacts) but these contacts are not "integrated".  So if they compose an email, it's not as if they can select fromt the public folder.  If a user wants to add a public folder contact to his/her device, he would have to find the contact in the PF and use the menu to "add to device" - and it has to be done individually. 

So there's good and bad to everything.

For my Z10 folks - I do a monthly copy of all current contacts to a Gmail account by an export/import of a CSV file from the PF source.  They end up in Gmail contacts and are listed by Category which is great. Then we use the CardDAV protocol on each Z10. The contacts are pushed/synced to the device and are completely integrated into the device.  This is all great for the end users, but not so great for me since this is a manual process.  I've tried Companion Link, SalesNow, Sync2 and looked into many other third party syncing apps.  They all suck!! and can't be relied upon.  They also allow a user to delete a contact from the sync source (luckly in my case it's the Gmail Account, not the actual PF).  But I digress.

On BES 5 or BESX 5, it all happens natively.  My users were never so thankful and I was in bliss when everyone had a BlackBerry, we were on BES 5, and all the public folder contacts synced without anyone doing anything (AND the security on the PF stayed in place).

I am VERY confused as to why BB dumped Public Folder support.  I realize that EAS doesn't support it, but who cares, why wouldn't the BES X support it.  Or why isn't there an app to bypass any EAS restrictions.  It makes no sense at all.  I don't even know why we have a BES anymore.  As soon as my final BB 7.1 users come up for upgrade, I have no options but to get rid of BES.  There's absolutley no need for it.  I don't need BB Balance.

-Ron
(8800, 8310, 9700, 9800, 9810, 9900, Z10)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ademaio53
My Device: Bold 9930

Has anyone tried this product?

http://www.codetwo.com/exchange-folder-sync/

We're going to implementing this as it appears to be the only solution I can find.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ronbold9700

I wish I could.  Unfortunatley, we are on a hosted Exchange/BES through ExchangeMyMail.com.  They won't install third party software on a shared server and they don't have enough other customers bitching about this problem.

I specifically proposed Code Two to them since they are a Microsoft Certified Partner but no luck.  Maybe if I had the time to look for another provider who can offer these services, I would.  I just can't do it right now.

But it's a great idea and I wish all of you who can use it the best of luck.

-Ron
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ademaio53

[ Edited ]

I just went through the whole hosted e-mail option and lack of public contact support was the dealbreaker.  We currently have our own mail on our SBS2003 server, which is in dire need of upgrading, but Microsoft has already put an EOL on SBS 2011, so we have to spend an extra $10,000 just to to be able to host our own e-mail like we currently do on SBS because now we need seperate Exchange and File/Print servers.

Killing off SBS was a real mistake for MS.  Most small business owners hate monthly bills that go on in perpetuity.  Most of them will say, "We had a good year, I better do my IT upgrade this year in case next year isn't so good and I can't afford it then."  Their whole spiel about Office 365 being cheaper over a 3 year period is BS.  Our current server is 7 years old.  Who the hell replaces this stuff after 3 years? 

Microsoft wants a predictible cash flow at my expense?  Not going to happen.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ronbold9700

For many small businesses like where I work, there's one IT guy (that's me) and the cost of bringing Exhchange and BB inhouse would be so expensive, not to mention that I'd need to hire someone just to handle that.  So unfortunatey, as much as I'd like to take the whole thing in house, I have to find a cheaper option for Public Folders.

One problem is that I"m running in circles trying to work around the public folder issue and it nobody here knows what I"m going through.  Secondly, I can't seem to find anyone on the outside who is in the same predicament as me AND has a solution.

If somebody can write an iPhone app for public folders, where is the BB app??  It makes absolutely NO sense.  It's people like you and me that have stuck by BlackBerry.  I've gone as far as I can to support them.  I have always believed in them in spite of it all.  But when you remove basic functionality like public folders from devices when it was such an integral part of BES 5 - it's time to tap out.

-Ron
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ademaio53

I'm also our IT guy on top of doing my main job.  We have 10 workstations and about a 15 e-mail accounts.  MS Small Business Server was perfect for us. 

We have an IT company that does our maintenance and handles big problems, and when we talked to them about upgrading our server and said that having a public contact list than can be pushed to a mobile device was 100% necessary and would be a deal breaker for any setup than can't do it, the IT company really started scratching their head. 

I can't believe this is not a a major issue for other companies out there.  Making sure all of our company cell phones all have the same contacts is absolutely crucial.

When I had to explain to the boss (who's also my father) that we need to spend double the amount of money just have the functionality we have now, he lost it.  I love buying new stuff that can't do what the old stuff does.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

ademaio53 wrote:

Has anyone tried this product?

http://www.codetwo.com/exchange-folder-sync/

We're going to implementing this as it appears to be the only solution I can find.

I have been using it for many years now. I use it to sync Personnel List contacts to EAS devices and for outlook since no one here likes the offline address book. they want contacts they can see

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nadcyrus
My Device: z10

we use add2exchange which appears to be similar to codetwo.

it allows us to copy contacts from PF to personam mailbox and back if need by...runs as service too.

to get arond PF we've had to create an exchange mailbox for each PF, use add2exchange to do one way sync from pf to this mailbox, and then add an additional active sync record on mobile device to synch contacts. very round about way to do something done so easily by BES previously - sigh

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ronbold9700

In my testing, using a separate "dummy" exchange account CAN work but can also create more hassles.  In our case, we have 3 admins who keep the PF contact list updated, accurate, and keep the integrity of the data in tact.  Everyone else has "read-only" access.  This prevents accidental deletions, and from users adding contacts in strange ways (like weird abbreviations that nobody else can find).  With BES 5 the security on the PF was built in.  All Outlook clients could "see" and use the contacts but couldn't edit them.  And since BES 5 synced the contacts with the mobile devices - it was so damned easy it was funny.

On an actual Mailbox (as opposed to a PF) you have to be concerned with how permission are handled and it can get dicey.  They need "Full" access in some placed (on the mailbox) but then "read" access on the Contacts folder.  You also have to deal with adding the dummy mailbox to each user's Outlook Profile.  This in itself will not get these shared contacts to the mobile devices.  Each mobile device would have to add another Exchange account (which you can do on Z10) or you need an automated way to copy the contacts into each users personal contacts folder.  So there's syncing, copying, profiles. Accounts -  It can get quite complicated.

I've written to Code Two (they're closed today) to ask if my situation can be overcome by one of their products.

-Ron
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

i made a category for my public folder contacts and just sync directly to my contacts folder

no extra accounts needed

go get a free trial of it, it works great

I used it on Exchange 2003 for years and now on 2010

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.