Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9800
My Carrier: t-mobile

Re: bes 10 and public folders

We use Lotus Domino with BES5.x and also want to use 10.1 (System is already installed and testing devices are on the run). BUT without the option to sync additional address books there is NO reason to keep BlackBerry!

I know they switched to ActiveSync but BES10.1 and the BB-Devices have the possibility to communicate directly so there are many other possibilities to synch contacts (maybe via an additional app like the enterprise IM)...

I already opened a case at BlackBerry. Only answer was:

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support.  We are pleased to assist you.

We apologize however multiple address books not a feature as of yet.  You can send your suggestions for improvement to ideamailbox@blackberry.com, the more requests for a feature will assist with this being added to a future release.

Maybe if more of us sent a message to this mail address we get the feature :smileywink:

Cheers,
Dave

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Actually my Verizon Q10 - is automatically syncing contacts from our public folders. In my case I rather not have those contacts, I am looking for a way to switch that off.

Contributor
My Device: Z10

I'd be interested to know how your Q10 is automatically syncing public folder contacts.  How exactly is that happening?

-Ron
(8800, 8310, 9700, 9800, 9810, 9900, Z10)
New Contributor

Our exchange is hosted. I've had Androids and iPhones syncing my mailbox / contacts / calendar without an issue. I got the Q10 Friday and noticed contacts that were not mine showing... after looking around found out those contacts are in our oublic folders. Contacted the hosting company they said "No chance for information on public folders to show in your device" - contacted blackberry they are still looking into it.

BTW I am connected via Exchange Sync.

Contributor

It doesn't really matter which phone platform we're talking about once we move beyond BlackBerry device OS version 7.1 and BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.  This was the last combination of device/servers that could sync public folders automatically solely based on the BlackBerry infrastructure. Whether it's Android, iPhone or BlakcBerry 10, they simply don't sync do a public folder.  In fact, even previous BlackBerry devices didn't do it until BES 5 came about.  BES 5 was the last server version before BES 10 came out.

When you say "Exchange Sync" do you mean Exchange ActiveSync?  If so, yes, this will sync all of your email, personal contacts, calendar items, etc and you don't necessarily NEED activation on a BES 10 enterprise server to do it, unless your company enforces certain IT policies on the BES 10 server.  In a hosted environment (which I use also by the way), you typically don't see that.

I have over 5,000 contacts in a public folder that used to sync automatically to each BlackBerry device.  When we upgraded to BlackBerry 10 devices (only the Z10 for now), that all stopped and I had to come up with an alternative solution.  In my testing I copied contacts in various configurations, tested various software that said it could do it, but to no avail.  However, I also have found contacts from the public folder that "remained" on my device from the testing.  They aren't being synced from anywhere, more "left over" from testing.  So I would be very interested to hear how exactly these contacts from your public folder are showing up.  Is it truly ALL of them?  Did anyone in your IT department or whoever is in charge of your relationship with your Hoster, do any testing or copying of contact data?

In the end, we went with CodeTwo that has an addin for free.  It syncs the public folder contacts to any other folder you choose on a user's desktop (so each mobile user has this installed in Outlook).  I had them create a subfolder in their personal contacts called "Synced Contacts" so that their personal contacts don't get synced to the public folder.  It works well and each users simply has to hit the "Sync" button (added during installation) when they want to get the latest updates from the public folder.  It works on BlackBerry and iPhone.  Android doesn't support Contact subfolder syncing at all right now, one of the many reasons that as a company we decided not to support that platform as a business device for our employees.

-Ron
New Contributor

Yes I am using Exchange ActiveSync. I am doing more research and I've found this so far, we have 4 main folders each with different subfolders with contacts. Two of those main folders were not created as Contacts folders and those do not Sync. Only those created as contacts folders will sync.

If you look at this image https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfdvzb4tcwajmwc/SyncIssue.jpg it will show you what I mean by Contacts main folders and Non-Contacts main folders.

Contributor

Yes, I have the same basic setup.  I just have one folder (that was created as a contact folder) and it does not sync to BlackBerry 10 devices.

Are you sure those contacts aren't coming in from another location?  If you go into your Contact app and select "all" in the lower left, you will see what "All" is made up of - like BBM, Facebook, and also email accounts etc.  Also if you are in your contact list and swipe down fromt he top and select "settings" (the gear) you can turn on/off different sources.  What do you have listed there.  ARe you sure these aren't coming from dropbox or something similar rather than your public folder?

-Ron
New Contributor

I double checked the contacts are part of the contacts in the public folder. But only the ones with the main Contacts folder, the other two folders NONE of those contacts are syncing. So to test this, I am moving all the contacts to NON-Contacts main folders and see if I can get that to stop showing them. I will let you know.