Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
BenWaldon
My Device: Not Specified

exchange migration deleting hidden blackberry folder

Hello,

We are planning to Migrate from exchange 2003 & BES 4.1.6 to exchange 2007 & BES 5.0. I have a question about a specific potential issue.

The issue is that exmerge (or some other 3rd party application) has the potential of corrupting or leaving behind the hidden blackberry folder (in the mailbox) on which BES depends. the result is that you have to reactivate the phone. This issue is discussed at: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11776 

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what percentage of the users were affected? Were there any other options available, other than simply reactivating the handheld?

Are there any contributing factors that would cause this? Perhaps especially large mailboxes or low I/O available while doing the upgrade?

Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this risk? Possibly run a ESEutil on the database before exmerge?

(After typing this, it occurred to me that it is perhaps not so much a BES question as it is an exchange quesition. However, I would still be interesting in whatever feedback you could provide in relation to this.)

Thank You,

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: exchange migration deleting hidden blackberry folder

BenWaldon wrote:

Hello,

We are planning to Migrate from exchange 2003 & BES 4.1.6 to exchange 2007 & BES 5.0. I have a question about a specific potential issue.

The issue is that exmerge (or some other 3rd party application) has the potential of corrupting or leaving behind the hidden blackberry folder (in the mailbox) on which BES depends. the result is that you have to reactivate the phone. This issue is discussed at: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11776 

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what percentage of the users were affected? Were there any other options available, other than simply reactivating the handheld?

Are there any contributing factors that would cause this? Perhaps especially large mailboxes or low I/O available while doing the upgrade?

Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this risk? Possibly run a ESEutil on the database before exmerge?

(After typing this, it occurred to me that it is perhaps not so much a BES question as it is an exchange quesition. However, I would still be interesting in whatever feedback you could provide in relation to this.)

Thank You,

Dont use exmerge or 3rd party tools. If you do you will have issues as mentioned in that KB.

I have seen 100s of people upgrade 2003 to 2007 with little issue using move mailbox wizard.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.