Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

Regular Contributor
jeprue
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

"Free" license trade-up

We have quite a few "perpetual" CALs for our old BES 5 server and I traded-up a portion of them for our new BES 10 server.  Problem is that now they show that they are set to expire on 3/31/14.  I thought that "perpetual" licenses did not expire.  And how was the date "3/31/14" chosen?  That seems kind of arbitrary.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vavery
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: "Free" license trade-up

I just traded up 10 licenses that also have the same expiraton date of 3/31/2014.  Is this true or will I have to upgrade licenses at that time?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jeprue

Yesterday I put in a service request to BlackBerry asking them about the expiration date and they claimed that's the expiration date for the trial version and that the perpetual licenses are OK.  That still seems a bit strange to me.  The trial licenses where supposed to be good for only 2 months.  I'm not sure where this 3/31/14 came from.  I asked them for further explanation but haven't heard back yet.  If I get a better answer, I'll post it here.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jeprue

Just got an update

"The reason why you are seeing the expiry date is because BES 10.1 CALs expire early and they will have to be renewed at the end of the year."

Sounds like the "free" licenses are only free for a while.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Tarkus7079
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: O2

as far as I am aware all BES10 CALs are renewable annually and the trade-up program (BES5 to BES10) only provides you with BB10 device CALs so you need to purchase UDS CALs separately.  From information given by BlackBerry there are in fact 4 different types of CAL for BES10.  These are:

1. EMM Corporate (purchased).
    These allow you to manage BlackBerry 10 devices (using Balance) and iOS/Android (with a standard smartphone tariff).
  2. Secure Workspace for iOS and Android (purchased).
    These allow you to provision the secure workspace onto an iOS and Android device (with a standard smartphone tariff).
  3. EMM Regulated.
    Allows you to fully lock down a BlackBerry 10 device (no Balance).  These aren't a license code that you enter, but rather the allocation number is taken from the number of devices that have a specific BlackBerry 10 tariff provisioned by your carrier.
  4. EMM Corporate (Free as part of trade-up programme).  These allow you to manage only BlackBerry 10 devices.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
LoneWolf902
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Q10, Bold 9900

Hello jeprue,

Thank you for your question regarding License Trade-Up for BES 10.1.

You are correct the Client Access Licenses (CAL) that your received during the TradeUp program will expire on 3/31/14. Before those CALs expire BlackBerry will be issuing you new full perpetual CALs for all of the BlackBerry devices activated at that time that were traded up from BES 5.0.x. 

For more information please see the How does the process work? section at the BlackBerry 10 Ready program page.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- LW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jeprue

One more question...Let's say we have 100 CALs from our old BES server that we trade up to BES 10.  On 12/31/13, if we've only activated 50 BB10 devices does that mean only those 50 licenses will be converted to perpetual licenses and we'll lose the other 50? 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
oliwer
My Device: BB10 and WiFi PB
My Carrier: .

Yes
Please use plain text.