Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10

New Contributor
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: O2

"The application xxx has attempted to open an external connection which is not allowed by your IT policy."

I run a BES with around 400 users and want to deploy some applications out to them. I've done the hard part - the applications are installed on the BES and each one has an Application Control Policy set up with only the permissions it requires to run.

Our BES is set up with MDS so that all data goes through our internal internet gateway, handsets aren't allowed to use external connections, they have to go via MDS. We are a local government organisation and this is something which we are required to lock down.

What I'm finding is that many apps come up with "The application xxx has attempted to open an external connection which is not allowed by your IT policy." which you can OK, after which the app works fine. The same error/notification will keep coming up periodically, often requiring you to ok it multiple times before it will disappear. Aside from this the app will work fine and is able to use MDS to connect.

The apps which I've so far found that cause this:

Google Maps

FancyTran

QR Scanner Pro

Wordpress for Blackberry

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems very odd that this notification should repeatedly appear and ruin what is otherwise a fully functional app!

New Contributor
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: O2

Re: "The application xxx has attempted to open an external connection which is not allowed by your IT policy."

I should add that I've raised this with RIM and they say that the behaviour is by design. It seems so stupid though, I find myself with that all-too-familiar feeling (when dealing with BES issues) that I must be doing something wrong.