Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Regular Contributor
Publisher
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

BB Link v 1.0.1.17 - USB sync now available... EPIC FAIL!

Actually, for anyone thinking this is great news... think again. It's merely a patch by BB to correct an unforgivable mistake which should never have happened in the first place.

Yes, the latest BB Link allows the syncing of Ms Outlook Contacts and Calendar. BUT (and I'm afraid these are big buts...)

1. It is only one-way (PC to Z10), although BB are working on a two-way sync... coming soon

2. It does not allow you the option to select given profiles... so you get EVERYTHING transferred, including any archive Contacts and, perhaps, any profiles you may not want on your phone

3. As per (1) above, the PC is effectively the 'master'. That would be okay... if any subsequent changes you make to Contacts in Outlook were updated each time you undertake the one-way sync to your phone. BUT... IT DOESN'T. In fact, you get the below message that (which I've highlighted in yellow) says: "...will not update any existing records that have been modified." WTF!!!! So if Company A changes its phone number, or CEO, or address... it'll never get through to your phone!

Contact transfers - FAIL

Just like the user experience with the Z10 has been so dreadfully poor - and aside of the above - I'm aslo finding lots of problems with the new USB sync through BBLink 1.1.

My Z10 often gets disconnected for no apparent reason when syncing through BBL 1.1.

And some of the recurring calendar items aren't mirror-images. For instance, something on my Ms Outlook calendar which was a three-day occurence for 9/10/11 March (set on the PC as 'recurs>daily>end after 3 occurences')... keeps recurring 'daily' EVERY DAY SINCE when I've transferred the calendar data to the Z10!!!

Yesterday, I went in to my Vodafone shop and they have, very kindly, agreed that I can swap my Z10 for something else. I'm afraid that being a BB user for over a decade, and sticking with them through thick and thin, I am going to take them up on their offer. I suggest anyone who's waited patiently for the Z10 thinks very carefully about staying a BB user. 

Please use plain text.