Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Contributor
My Device: Z10

BB Link wil not connect to BB Z10

Hi, I cannot get my phone to connect with BB Link either by Wi-Fi or USB. I am currently running Links on Windows XP any help would be appricated.

Thanks

Contributor

Re: BB Link wil not connect to BB Z10

Please note that I have tried this on a different system running Windows 7 and BB Links works fine with the phone. My guess is that it is a driver issue.

Contributor

There seems to be a problem with the USB Autodetect in the Storage and Access section of the BB10. If you go to Storage and Access and choose under USB connection > Connect to Windows. The phone should now connect to Link, at least it did for me.

Contributor

I should also add, for some reason the phone must have Airplane Mode turned on in order for the phone to fully sync with BB Link via USB and create your Z and y drives (additional phone memory if added) in explorer. Could someone explain what is causing this to happen? I would seem that a wireless connection is interfearing with the USB connection.

Thanks

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Should have also mentioned that the first time I got a successful link up with the drives showing I had to reboot my computer with my phone's USB plugged in.

New Contributor
thesandmancan
My Device: BB Z10 Playbook

I had a similar problem using BB desktop with Playbook. Got it to run with no further issues by turning off the wi-fi and then connecting with USB to the computer (XP). BB10 works the same. Try this:

1). Do not launch Blackberry Link

2). Turn off the Z10 wi-fi connection

3). Attach via USB to the PC

Windows XP will take a little time to configure the connection and will then install the Z10 as a network volume and opens the File Explorer showing the Z10 as drive :Z complete with its files and folders structure.

4). Now launch Blackberry Link

5). Link your device and sync away :Cool2:

Windows XP SP3

BB Z10

BB Playbook

Contributor

Thanks that also works, as long as my wi-fi is turned off my phone drives will appear in Explorer. As soon as wi-fi is turned back on I lose the drives. Did you ever figure out away to have wi-fi turned on and still have the drives showing in Explorer? Thanks

New Contributor
thesandmancan

Yup...pretty much how things have to be done in XP. Oddly when I try a wireless connection it will work to a point. XP sees the Z10 as a network device and BB Link places the wi-fi icon on the BLACKBERRY 2153 tab indicating that the devices are linked. It even displays the files and folders of the Z10. Unfortunately it will not sync anything and after a few minutes it shows a connection error.  As far as I know XP has little if any wi-fi support. As well, my PC is not exactly the latest and greatest so it has no wi-fi card. I expect that a newer machine with the proper cards/drivers and Windows 7/8 would not have a problem with the wireless connection.

But hey...I'm old school. If it aint broke, don't fix it. For now XP serves me well and the extra few minutes it takes to go the USB route is not an issue for me.

I've got a brand spanky new desktop at work. If I get some downtime I'll try the connection there. I'll post the results here. :smileyhappy:

Contributor

Thank you for your input.

New Contributor
thesandmancan

In answer to your question, I should have added:

The Z10 Storage and Access settings are not very clear but appear to offer two options. Connect using USB or Wi-Fi. One or the other. Connecting the USB with Wi-Fi selected as "ON" appears to create havoc in that the device is trying to install as a network drive and wireless device at the same time.

The limited success I had with the wireless connection was wireless only, no simultaneous physical USB connection.