Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
tjdo
My Device: Q5

BB Q5 Not Connecting to BB Link

My Q5 will not connect to Link via USB.  I get a Connection Error saying the drives cannot be read & the Device Manager shows the drive volumes as not mounted.  I've tried re-installing Link & done a Reset on the Phone but to no avail.  Curiously, I have managed to transfer data from my old Torch 9800 to the Q5 via USB Link & I can do backups but no synching.  I presume this is down to the current problems with Link software.  When the phone is attached & Link is open, my PC has started to crash with a memory dump message & this does not happen otherwise so this may or may not be part of the problem.  As the drives are not being read, I have had to move stuff over to the phone by taking out the media card & plugging it directly into my PC, moving what I want over & then putting it back in the phone.  For Wireless Synching, the phone does recognise my Laptop & allows me access to the designated shared folders so this appears to be a USB connection issue.  Any thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome.  Are there any settings on the phone which need tweaking?

Running: PC: Windows 8 (64-bit) - latest updates installed, Phone: latest version of Q5 software - 10.1.0.4181, Link: latest version available from BB support website - bundle 32.

Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: BB Q5 Not Connecting to BB Link

Hey tjdo,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

I would first check to see if Mass Storage mode is enabled, go into Settings>Storage and Access and scroll to the bottom and make sure USB Mass Storage is set to off.

Also I would suggest uninstalling BlackBerry Link and install the newest version 1.1.1.41 from www.blackberry.com/desktop and restart the PC after the install.

Let me know if the issue still persists.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
tjdo

Thanks for your reply.

I will check the USB Mass Storage but I'm pretty sure it is set to off.  My version of BB Link is v1.1.1.32 so I will download the more recent version & try that.

New Contributor
tjdo

Have now loaded v1.1.1.41 of Link but it is worse than before.  I cannot get Link to recognise my Q5 as a device linked to my BB ID although I have logged-in with the correct ID (I only have the one ID anyway) so Remote File Access is not working & I cannot see the laptop in File Manager.  However, in settingsthe laptop is showing as a paired computer so I am at a total loss as to what the problem is here.  Also, the connection error I reported is still showing with exactly the same error message that the drives cannot be read.  The Device Manager continues to show volume not mounted on both the internal drive & media card drive.  Despite this, I was able to complete a backup.  What next???

New Contributor
tjdo

Further to my earlier update, after a 2nd re-boot of my laptop Link now recognises my handset as being part of my ID.  However, the other issues remain & I have just suffered another blue screen of death.  This only happens when Link is open & the phone is attached.  I have no such issues at any other time.  Clearly Link is a complete failure & I will have avoid it (apart from the odd backup if I am allowed to do one) until new software or properly updated software is available.  The old Desktop software worked fine.  Why can't BB10 handsets use this for backup purposes?  I look forward to your response.

Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey tjdo,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

If BlackBerry Link and the USB connection is causing a blue screen of death, we will need to gather some logs from BlackBerry Link and the PC to find the root cause.  Please contact your network service provider and ask to be transferred to BlackBerry so a ticket can be created so we can retrieve this logs.

Thank you for the feedback regarding BlackBerry Desktop Software however it is not designed to work with BlackBerry 10.

I appreciate your patience.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!