Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
My Device: Z10, STL100-3

Re: BlackBerry Link 1.2.2.13 not syncing changes

If you are trying to Synch with Outlook, go to contacts, select all (CTRL-A), right click, select Forward. Mail the lot to yourself and load the VCF files from the BB email (while on the BB).
New Contributor

I a currently running 10.2.1.2102. There are still a few quirks with the sync. I noticed the first sync was error free but only moved 14 contacts. A second sync was error free and moved 347 (all). After that for basic updates it was hit and miss. It seems like if the PST file is locked or otherwise in use, it fails. But some error messages in the logs from LINK show failure to write to the BB device itself. So, they still have kinks to work out.
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 STL 100-3

Yes.

You have to re-format them

(i.e. re-combine the networks, etc...)

It's a pain, but I have no problems since then.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

This worked for me and now the sync works both ways every time. Why don't BlackBerry tell you when they release an update to their software that this is what you nedd to do???!!!

New Contributor

Okay, so I was able to get contacts and calendar syncing okay, then the failure to write to device error popped up again. I ran through my own process (as noted above) and ... no luck. Calendar synced fine, contacts did not.

So, I started over. I like a puzzle and challenges... I assume it has something to do with memory (full or timing in writing of data). To clean it all out I did the following...

In settings/accounts, delete all external accounts like Tweeter, Facepalm, and Linkedup. (yes I know those are not the actual names). I kept my external email accounts because I don't import addresses and calendars from them. You can reload any external addresses later by logging back into the apps.  I did this because I noticed that after a reboot the Contacts app will turn on sync to any external apps by default if you have them set up.

I used 'Contact Manager' (a couple of bucks in BBWorld) to backup existing contacts and quickly delete ALL local and BBLink contacts from the BB.

I then rebooted to clear any RAM (memory). I noticed after deleting some contacts and calendars the device seemed to remember them even though there was nothing 'viewable' in contacts or calendar.

I let the BB settle as it ran through start up and indexing, etc. Contected to the BBLink and synced Calendar first, no issue then contacts... Contacts synced only 14 of 347 (insert head bouncing off desk repeatedly). The next step is not scientific... Get up, go get coffee and come back in 20 minutes and try the contacts sync again. This time - it worked.

To get the external accounts loaded I logged back into Twitster, Faceplant and LincolnIN. Yes, that will eat data so I suggest doing that while on wifi if you are watching your data. Give it some time to sync based on number of contacts.

Lastly, go in and edit contacts to LINK them together to help reduce duplicate types.

Run another backup of contacts once you have everything set the way you like it.

JEOII

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10 - bold 9700 and a playbook 64gb (paid full price week 1)

clearing bblink contacts seems to be the key to success here - worked for me.

New Contributor
My Device: Q10

I don't see where one finds "bblink contacts".  On my system, I have contacts in Outlook and contacts on the Q10 device, which are the two sets I want to sync.

When I open BBLink software with the device connected, under the device section I can select Contacts/Calendar and this shows me the sync options.  I don't see any "bblink contacts" area.

If you have a solution, can you give me a bit more detail on the process?

Thanks!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Q10 - bold 9700 and a playbook 64gb (paid full price week 1)

under settings/accounts

delete bblink contacts

New Contributor

Another data point or three...

I updated with one of the latest leaks, 10.2.1.2156 to see if that solved the issue. It did not, completely. I am able to get successful syncs 'most' of the time.

I am not syncing contacts. Once I had them all loaded I now use a local app to backup/delete/restore contacts on the Z10. So, after a successful sync, I was done with the head banging on contacts.

Calendar items did not sync the the first time without error. Most did take though... I double checked to ensure all calendar items in the past were deleted from Outlook. Next...

In BBLink I configured Calendar Sync as follows:

- one way sync to device

- Don't sync conflicting data

- last 30 days only (should be zero if you delete past events)

Remember, the failed first sync did take some if not most of my calendar items.

The calendar syncs since, knock on skull (aka wood) that I just didn't jinx myself, have worked error free.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10

Yet another problem with my new Z10! First, I can no longer get it to link by Bluetooth to my car system and now I can't sync changes to my contacts and calendar. Surely, these are absolutely basic functions that should be well tested before any software releases are sent out by Blackberry? But sadly, they don't seem to be and once again consumer customers are left with a modern device that just won't work properly, further affecting Blackberry's already shaky reputation. Look Blackberry, customers just want a phone that works properly. We are not computer geeks that understand the vaguaries of software releases or workarounds. We just need the devices we paid for to do what they are supposed to do. The fact that no-one from Blackberry comes onto this Forum and explains what is happening is very disappointing. Without this basic functionality, which is essential for my work, I might be forced to end my long, loyal attachment to Blackberry and go to 'the enemy' and use another manufacturer's device. Is anyone at RIM bothered?