Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

BlackBerry Link for Linux

I am curious - when will BlackBerry Link be available for Linux?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: BlackBerry Link for Linux

Hey shamino9,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Currently the BlackBerry Link software does not support the Linux operating system.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Telus

I am also on Ubuntu.. It is not fun to be forced to switch back to Windows just for that..

New Contributor

I am mostly interested in the remote file access feature available in BlackBerry Link.

Would it be possible to just get the VPN protocol and configuration used by BlackBerry Link so I can try and emulate the remote file access in Linux?

And as a side-note - not having Linux support is not good a idea as it is used by many software developers and engineers.
Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bouygues telecom

Hi

is it a way to avoid the message "want to install blackberry link" anytime I plug my Q10 on my Linux computer ?

second point, How could I have acces to memory storage, without removing the media card ?

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Koodo

>>shamino9 wrote:
I am mostly interested in the remote file access feature available in BlackBerry Link.

Would it be possible to just get the VPN protocol and configuration used by BlackBerry Link so I can try and emulate the remote file access in Linux?

I believe the BB10 security model partitions the device memory and protects it from direct wireless or USB access. Only the media memory is accessible from Linux via wi-fi using Samba.

So what is needed is an import/export capability.  Contacts and calendar could be exported to media memory and adjusted as needed on any computer. No need to buy another software license to mainain your phone.

New Contributor

lezaps wrote:

Hi

is it a way to avoid the message "want to install blackberry link" anytime I plug my Q10 on my Linux computer ?

second point, How could I have acces to memory storage, without removing the media card ?

To the first question - I am uncertain of how to disable the prompt.

To the second: On linux, you can access your blackberry via (samba) network shares (once you enable it in settings under storage access).

New Contributor

Brry wrote:

>>shamino9 wrote:

I believe the BB10 security model partitions the device memory and protects it from direct wireless or USB access. Only the media memory is accessible from Linux via wi-fi using Samba.

So what is needed is an import/export capability.  Contacts and calendar could be exported to media memory and adjusted as needed on any computer. No need to buy another software license to mainain your phone.

I use Google calendar and contacts - so accessing those things remotely is not a problem.

What I want to do is have the blackberry link remote file access feature on linux. The remote file access feature allows you to access your PC files anywhere, on your BB; once you have an internet connection to both your PC and phone. It accomplishes this remote file acces by creating a special VPN connection. It's this VPN connection I am interested in.

Contributor
My Carrier: Koodo

shamino9 wrote: >>> I use Google calendar and contacts - so accessing those things remotely is not a problem.

I synced with Gmail but it scrambled some of my Q10 contacts. Depending on Gmail or Outlook for managing BB10 metadata is a weak strategy for RIM because they have no control over that software.

>>> What I want to do is have the blackberry link remote file access feature on linux. The remote file access feature allows you to access your PC files anywhere, on your BB; once you have an internet connection to both your PC and phone. It accomplishes this remote file acces by creating a special VPN connection. It's this VPN connection I am interested in.

Ok, I think I understand. But it might be a challenge to get a useful protocol specification. The backup file produced by BB link appears to be encrypted.  I don't think it knows anything about the data, except the address of a memory region.  Much like an  FTP client-server.

My Carrier: Swisscom

yes -- Re: BlackBerry Link for Linux

Nothing more simple.

With Ubuntu, open the "Software Management", write "Blackberry" into the search field.

Bingo! Two or more apps available for free. Enjoy!