Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: WIND

Blackberry Link Blue screen on launch - netio.sys

Hi all, 

I have attempted to load and launch the blackberry link software on Windows 7 64 (machine with no issues prior), only to have it immediately cause a bluescreen of death on launch.  I see that I was not the onle one with the issue, but the other topics I search appear to have been abandoned without resolution.

Any advice?  Removal (including folders in PF) and reinstallation does nothing.  Netio.sys is the faulting application, with stop code 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.  File name for fault is ntoskrnl.exe+f3cb0.

Please redirect me / others here if this has already been resolved elsewhere.

Any further information you need to assist will be provided promptly.

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Blackberry Link Blue screen on launch - netio.sys

Hey browningit,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

To resolve this issue we will need to gather logs from BlackBerry Link.  Please contact your network service provider and ask to be transferred to BlackBerry so we can investigate.

Thank you.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't make sense to contact a cell provider in regards to the BSOD to Blackberry Link. It's a desktop application, and never comes in contact with the cell network. Link software never even gets a chance to launch to create a log before failure at this point.  As soon as it interacts with netio.sys, system crash.  I am generating the dump file for upload now.

Link to .rar of minidump:

https://mega.co.nz/#!UoMQARDQ!e8ag3lrw5qqZ6MiayIiJJwLhHvdUdrgXrnxQUrykS-g

New Contributor

Here is some more information, as I had some time in the last little bit to play with this.

1) I completely removed all BB / RIM related software from the computer.  This includes BDM, Link, Program Files, Common Files, Registry locations and files.

2) Restarted computer

3) Downloaded another copy of the installer for Link (1.0)

4) Installed, ran the software.  Worked.  Signed in under my profile.

5) Attached new Z10 device to the computer.  Noted that the driver failed to load for windows.

6) Waited, and eventually when the device connected and started to communicate with Link, that is when the crash occurred, referencing netio.sys on the BSOD message (Dump reports issues with ntoskrnl.exe).

Please advise.

Attached is the latest dump, that looks just like the old one:

https://mega.co.nz/#!l8EWhJDS!AISXhlJlXgySfEHfzAT2_3iXG0ZKdegcuSW-U_9z9ws

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Repeated the above process for my desktop workstation which is as known stable as my laptop:

Same issue.  Same BSOD.

I believe this may be directly related to the OS of my phone, or the phone itself.

You guys let me know what you think, or request any further details.

Edit:  After the BSOD on the desktop, the machine rebooted.  On logging in, it crashes again with the same error.  Safe mode -> MSCONFIG -> Unchecked all BB/RIM applications off from start up.  Rebooted.  That points back to the application being the issue all by itself again.  Terribly confusing.

New Contributor

I recieved a pushed update from OS 10.0.10.63 to 10.0.10.85 via WIND last night and installed that to the device.  After that was completed, I ran USBDeview on the computers to completely uninstall any USB drivers related to the handheld.

Following that, I performed another completely clean installation of the Link software (see notes above).  Computer still crashes immediately on sign in / connection of USB cable to the device in an either/or scenario.

Please advise.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I have the same problem here, blue screen any time I connect the device.

I removed and installed BB Link. Same problem.

Anybody that can help and escalet this issue to BB?

Thanks.

Dino

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook | DevAlpha
My Carrier: N/A

I'm experiencing the same problem on win8 x64, so this must be a universal bug.

PlayBook App Manager
Contributor
My Carrier: EE

I don't know if this is the same bug, but I had the same symptom when connecting my Z10 recently. So just in case it helps someone here's what happened: 

• I had set the device lock on the phone
  • when I attached it to the PC a password dialog popped up and grabbed focus while I was typing into another window
  • this caused me to enter an invalid unlock code into the pop-up and the PC blue screened immediately with the netio.sys message
  • subsequent phone connections caused the same bluescreen at the moment the device was initialised by the PC

I got over this by:

• removing the device lock from the phone
  • connecting the phone to the PC (no bluescreen)
  • disconnecting phone and restoring device lock

Now I'm extra careful as I connect the phone so that I enter a valid code into the pop-up dialog.

Contributor
My Carrier: EE

Hmmm - device lock removed but the bluescreen has returned. No way to connect phone to PC at the moment...