Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
swinter
My Device: Z10

Blackberry Link making it easy to leave Blackberry forever

I am a long term Blackberry user however in recent years I have started to think it's time to leave and go to iOS or Android.  I decided to give the Z10 a crack in one last ditch attempt to stay with RIM.  Having secured a trial unit for a week or so I am already just about at my wits end since I simply can not get Blackberry Link to recognise the phone on my home laptop.  

It recognised it at work and I manged to transfer the contacts and some of the files from my old Bold.  But when I attempt to conect at home to allow me to transfer music, ringtones, other files etc ... the thing just will not connect!

I've read numerous posts on these forums detailing similar issues and as yet can't see a solution from Blackberry quoted anywhere?  Seriously RIM, are you not aware how many people there are like me, just hoping for your products to work, just simply WORK, like Apple?  Do you realise how many of us are but a malfunction away from leaving you forever?

For Jebus sake, please post a fix to this problem as I have literally got one foot out the door right now.

SW

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Blackberry Link making it easy to leave Blackberry forever

[ Edited ]

Hi swinter,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

Sorry to hear about the issue you're having connecting to BlackBerry Link.

Can you provide a bit more information please so that I can better assist?
Just to verify, are you connecting via usb cable to tranfer your music and ringtones?

If so, when you connect your BlackBerry Z10 to your home computer with the usb cable, does the computer detect it?

Are you using the same usb cable that you used on your work computer and have you tried using different usb ports on this computer?

In the meantime, can you please try the resolution steps outlined in this KB article and let me know if that helps? "BlackBerry 10 smartphone is unable to connect to BlackBerry Link via USB" http://blackberry.com/btsc/KB33832

I look forward to your response.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
swinter

FrankieS

thanks for your response.  I have been using a USB cable to connect the phone to my laptop.  And yes, it's the same one I used at work.  Also I have tried different USB ports on the computer.  Hope you can help ... In the meantime I'll read the article you sent.

SW

New Contributor
swinter

FrankieS

that link you sent doesn't work on my machine ... it just comes up with a white screen.  

SW

New Contributor
swinter

And sorry forgot to say, yes the computer does recognise the phone ... its just Link that can't seem to do it.  I get that yellow triangle that everyone talks about.

SW

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Hi swinter,

Can you please try the link again? Let me know if you're still unable to view it.

Thanks,

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
swinter

I have just searched for the link you sent that wouldnt work for me.  I came up with another 3 or 4 threads of people having the same issue and I can see you responding to most of them witht the same knowledge article.  I tried turning off the firewall and it changed nothing ... and to be honest I couldnt see that fix working for anyone else either .. .at least no-one replied that it fixed the problem.

What else should I try?

SW

New Contributor
swinter

Ok we might have some progress.  I think I was a bit quick with an earlier response where I said I had used the same cable each time.  For the majority of the time I have been using my old Bold cable as it has exactly the same plugs.  When I connected at work I had taken both cables to connect both phones.  It looks clear now that I must have connected the new phone with the new cable because that appears to have fixed things at home.  Not sure what the difference is in the cables but clearly there must be an extra wire in the new one.

Anyway thanks for your help FrankieS.  Perhaps remember this when helping others ... they may be doing the same thing as me.

cheers

SW