Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
jr4941
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook and Bold 9900

Re: Blackberry Link will not Backup Z10

I was able to back-up with previous versions of BlackBerry Link.  Unfortunately, in the newer version it can't.

NOW, that being said, I have a LOT more app data now then I did before.  With 1.62G of Application Data, it's not insubstantial.  When I turned the option to synch application data off, the back-up finally worked.  I also had it in airplane mode.  Whether you need that in airplane mode or not, I don't know.

I would try to unselect 'application data' first before turning it into airplane mode.

Win 7 64-bit for the record, is what I'm using.

biffz0r
My Device: z10

I also had issues with the backup.  I have 1.2GB of app data and the process would tap out.

My Windows device manager didn't have any issues, so nothing required there.

I resolved this by not engaging in tethering or the mobile hotspot.  Once I turned those off, Link backed up my Z10.  USB mass storage was already off, FYI.

New Contributor
Pegster
My Device: Z10

i still cannot back up Z10 - can sync no problem!  i hope there is afix for this!

Contributor
sebstarr3
My Device: z10

i've tried it all.. on two computers, reset the phone etc.. it always gets stuck at 32% and then I get the error that it did't back up.

Ridiculous! how has this not been fixed yet?

RAP
New Contributor
RAP

I have the same problem, i.e., backup fails when uning Blackberry Link, and I try to back up everything, or just the application data. I was on the phone with BB Tech Support last week for hours and generated numerous log files for them to help debug the problem. It has been pushed up the the BB Link developnment team, who know about the problem. They have promised to get back to me soon with a fix. In the interim, you should be able to use BB Link to back-up just the settings and nmedia data. Hope this helps. I'll post more when I get some news from BB.  

Contributor
bb10usr

[ Edited ]

I have found that Blackberry Link would not necessarily backup (I have daily backup enabled) when it should. The fix for me is to launch BB Link with the z10 attached. If I attached the z10 and THEN launched Link, The phone mapped properly and the backup is queued. Having Link running and then plugging in the z10 did not necessarily make the backup either start or be available in the menu (it remained greyed out). Syncing appeared to work regardless. So, Try launching with the device connected. Perhaps this feedback will help.

I would like to see BB Link become more robust with more options. In my opinion, the User ought to be able to connect the z10 while Link is actually running. Either that or let the User know that the device needs to be plugged in prior to launching the software. Having moved from the BB desktop software, I find Link rudimentary at this time.

RAP
New Contributor
RAP

I agree the BB Link software should be more robust. On my system, it does not launch automatically when I plug in my Z10, even though that box is checked.

I have plugged in the Z10 first, then launched BB Link and the backup fails. I hyave also opened BB Link first then connected the Z10, and still can not backup.

BTW, BB Tech support contacted me 2 days ago for additional log files re the backup problem. Hopefully they are making progress on a fix.

Contributor
bb10usr

I am glad to hear that Support has contacted you for follow up. I appreciate that software can need additional attention. I also really appreciate companies that actually act on feedback. Hopefully a patch is issued and pushed out. Having backup functionality running at 100% & headache free is desired.

Contributor
cameronh
My Device: BBZ10

I am also having this problem.

I have about two years worth of text messages and such on my z10 that I transferred from my old torch. There is no way that I'm going to wipe by phone without backing it up, but from the sounds of it this isn't going to help anyway.

I got the Os update a few days ago but it still has not fixed the backup issue.

I have tried to back up on several computers with No luck. I really hope this is something they are looking into.
New Contributor
NDAD
My Device: Blackberry Z 10, Playbook 2.0

I had similar issue.  I thought it was because of encrypted device and media card.  I decrypted - but unsuccessful.  I un-installed and reinstalled BB Link software.  Result same i.e. unsuccessful.  Then I googled this topic.  At one place, I read it was because of PC Recipe Application. At other place, it stated that was not the case.   Since I had installed PC Recipe Application on my Z10, I decided to give it try.  I removed PC Recipe and tried to back it up again.  -> Bingo!! -> I was able to backup my device, and it took less than 4 minutes for 835 MB data.  I am planning to enrcypt my device and media card again and then try to run backup again.  I will repost the result.