Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
wadhurstdaisy
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Link will not install on Windows 8 (64bit) Laptop

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm trying to install Blackberry Link onto my laptop which runs Windows 8 (64bit) but with no success.

From the Blackberry.com website I download the file "100_b075_multilanguage" (have tried both hitting 'run' and saving it then hitting 'run').

After a pop-up window titled "configuring installshield" that contains a progress bar (which does not progress) another pop-up window titled "Windows Installer" appears.

The first line of this new pop-up window says "Windows Installer V 5.0.9200 16384".

The second line says "msiexec /Option <Required Parameter> [Optional Parameter]".

There is then a load of text showing Install Options / Display Options but no means of selecting any of these options.

At the bottom is an OK button and when I press this the process stops and throws me back to the laptop's windows home screen.

Things I've tried without success: -

• Disable anti-virus
  • Amend User Account Control setting (UAC) to 'never notify'
  • Restart laptop in 'safe mode'
  • Reinstall Windows 8 from built-in recovery partition

Would appreciate any help / suggestions as to how to fix this and get Blackberry Link installed.

Thanks, Dave.

Please use plain text.
Retired
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Blackberry Link will not install on Windows 8 (64bit) Laptop

Hey wadhurstdaisy,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

I suggest following the steps in this KB article as it pertains to the same thing in BlackBerry Link: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB19300

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wadhurstdaisy

Many thanks for the link, unfortunately it hasnt solved the problem.

As suggested in the KB article, I renamed the file to .zip, extracted the contents then tried to run the blackberrylink.msi file, unfortunately all this does is produce a dialogue box with the title "Blackberry Link Installer Information" saying "Please use Setup.exe instead of BlackBerryLink.msi".

If I try "Setup.exe" then the installtion fails per the opening post.

Grateful for further suggestions.

Regards, Dave.

Please use plain text.
hugonobrega
My Device: non-user

I was having the same problem when trying to install BlackBerry Desktop, and I was fortunately (finally!) able to fix it.

Do the trick with renaming the .exe to .zip and unzip it into a folder somewhere.
Open that folder, then edit the file named "Setup.ini" by following the instructions posted by user "iramjm24" in this topic: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Desktop-Software-for-PC/PROBLEM-WITH-DESKTOP-SOFTWARE-WINDOWS...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wadhurstdaisy

Hugonobrega / iramjm24, many thanks for the solution.

Unfortunately when I tried it the BlackBerry link software had been updated so as soon as it installed on my laptop it advised me a new version existed, updated automatically to that and promptly crashed again :lol

Just need to download the latest version and perform the fix described by iramjm24 again.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
raghavbbm
My Device: z 10

HI,
Recently I got new Blackberry Z 10 and downloaded BlackBerry Link from the website. I am in India. When I try to install the software, it goes till last stage and gives the message "Unable to complete the installation". Can anyone guide me ?

Regards,
Raghav
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nizam_ditec
My Device: Z10 year 2013

Hi.. I have no problems last few weeks installing and using it on my windows 8 notebook until this week it says "Blackberry Link has stopped working" the windows will close the program..... hmmmm.... anyone help me.... Regards
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Veteranian
My Device: z10

i also get an error message that states: there was a problem accessing drive(s) on this device. disconnect then reconnect your device and try again.

i get this message all the time.

Please use plain text.