Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Developer
ecustomer
My Device: Z10

Cannot install BlackBerry Link on a Windows 7 notebook

I have been attempting to install BlackBerry Link (101_b015_multilanguage.exe) on a Windows 7 notebook and getting the following error message: "The wizard was interrupted before BlackBerry Link could be completely installed." However, I did nothing to interrupt the installation. Did not press "X" on any of the Windows. Only pressed “Yes” or "Next" when prompted.

My troubleshooting has been extensive. This is what I have tried:

1. Re-downloading the file in case it was corrupt.
  2. Rebooting.
  3. Performing a Disk Cleanup of Temporary Files and emptying the Recycle Bin.
  4. Deleting all files in C:\. . .\AppData\Local\Temp.
  5. Uninstalling BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  6. Opening "101_b015_multilanguage.exe" with WinRAR, extracting the files to a folder, and running “setup.exe” as administrator.
  7. Disabling the Firewall and Anti-virus
  8. Deselecting all Services (other than Microsoft services) and all Startup items in System Configuration.
  9. Disconnecting anything connected to the USB ports.

Every time the installation came to a point in which the following message appeared "Rolling back action" and the installation failed. The rolling back action always begins after "Starting services.”

Please help.

Contributor
BMWBarrister
My Device: Torch 9800 + Playbook > Z10

Re: Cannot install BlackBerry Link on a Windows 7 notebook

I've had the same issue (Win 7, 64-bit).

I still have NOT gotten it to work. I did, however, temporarily run the BlackBerry Link program by openning the folder that it installs into and when i saw the .exe file, I ran the program, "BlackBerryLink.exe" (loaded it into memory) and used it to transfer my data from my old BB 9800 to the Z10.

The installation program, nonetheless, continued it's thing and ended up being interupted as you say and not being able to install. The problem, as I see, is that it goes through "Rolling back action" and de-installs itself from my computer. I don't know why.

For me, BlackBerry Link installs into C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\.

I'd like to know what the solution to this problem is myself.

New Developer
ecustomer
My Device: Z10

At least there are two facing this issue. I hope that someone at BlackBerry takes notice and fixes the problem.

Contributor
paulschulte
My Device: Z10, Playbook 64GB WiFi

[ Edited ]

@jaywlee:  You gave me a great idea...  while I was installing version 1.0.1.15, I opened the folder where the software was being installed and at the same time I watched the "status" of the install.  When it appeared that the files were all copied-in, I quickly copied and pasted the two folders (one for Link and one for Print to Go) into the same location.  Then, after the installation removed the folders and files that it had just installed, I renamed the copied folders that I had just created (removed the "- Copy").  Then I launched the BlackberryLink.exe program and all worked (reasonably) fine.  For some reason I wasn't able to Sign In, despite my internet connection being active -- perhaps that is what kept causing the installation to cancel.  Regardless, I was able to access my Z10 and sync my files without any problem.  Yeaaa!

Of note, the previous version had been working on my PC, but it was unable to install this update, so I blew away the original and left myself completely scrambling to get Link going again... of course I could have gone back to a previous stable state of Windows, but didn't think of that until now... oh well.

Contributor
TimLaLonde
My Device: BlackBerry PB, Q10

Partially due to this issue and the lack of response from BB themselves, I returned my Z10.

Other issue - BB Bridge with my PB - greatly reduced functionality compared to how it was with my 9930 Bold.

Also, Z10 could not reliably connect to our office wireless even though my PB, several other Win  7 (64 & 32 bit) computers could.  It would connect flawlessly out of the office to other wireless networks.

Settlied on a Droid - Gads.  C'mon BB, get it together.

Tried a Z10 - too many issues.
Now using a Q10. (BB Link still won't fully install.)
Contributor
TimLaLonde

Re: Cannot install BlackBerry Link on a Windows 7 notebook - no response from BB

Does anyone else find it interesting that no one from Blackberry has taken enough interest to address this issue?

With this lack of concern, can the company survive?  Or, is it just me?

Visitor
WhiteDawn
My Device: Z10 STL100-3

Re: Cannot install BlackBerry Link on a Windows 7 notebook - no response from BB

I have this exact same problem, and I have ran the exact same troubleshooting steps as TimLaLonde. The only difference is I am on 64bit Windows 8. Any help would be appreciated.
Contributor
BMWBarrister
My Device: Torch 9800 + Playbook > Z10

BB_Link Error.png

This issue still has not been resolved. I've attached a picture of the error message I get.

Contributor
TimLaLonde

Well, I tried something "new" - as a previous contibutor has done -

Attempted another installation of BB Link -

monitored the folder where the files were being created.

Just prior to the software installation failing and "rolling back", I copied the entire folder to a new location.

I then clicked on the exe (underC:/Program Files (x86)/Research In Motion/Blackberry/Link):  BlackBerryLink.exe.

Everything "seems" to be there but the software can't log into my BB ID account.

All of my media files, etc. show up. (Music, Pictures, Videos, Documents)

I have a message in the left hand margin telling me that there is an update available ver 1.1.0. - but it won't fully install either.

I have created two log files - just in case RIM asks for it.

Anyone else been able to kludge this into working?

Hoping to resolve this so I can try out the Q10 once Verizon releases it next week.

I've been using a Droid RAZR MAXX HD since returning my Z10, but it is far from the platform the BB provides.

Have great hopes that the Q10 and Link will get working. 

New Contributor
greencopperz
My Device: Bold 9780 / Z10

[ Edited ]

Dear BlackBerry - I am on my third device, having had the 8220 pearl flip, the bold 9780 and now Z10.  I can not get Link installed on my PC.  I keep having the software roll back. Since you removed the option to use BlackBerry protect to remotely back up, I can not do any back ups period and am at a loss if my device goes haywire and I can't back up and restore.  Your support SUCKS **bleep**. actually if it sucked **bleep**, it would be doing something... since it's not great support, then it's non-existant.  This isn't a carrier issue - it's a RIM/BB issue.  What is the fix? We have tried to uninstall, we have updated our PC's to all latest updates etc. We're not idiots and we all seem to be really savy on pc tech, so do us all a proper favor and get this isssue to the forefront and a remedy ASAP. We're tired of broken promises and it's any wonder the once mighty company I was proud to tote around's products are now a rusty blight spot... we're frustrated, don't want any work-a-rounds - simply a resolution to our issue of no BB link software.  I had the original Link working for all of a week until you sent the update and now even the legacy desktop stuff won't load. We're growing tired of the LACK OF RESPONSE and SUPPORT. There should be a report button for NOT RECEIVING ANY SUPPORT FOR A NON-CARRIER ISSUE or lack of response - Did you fire your support RIM? Did Heins cleave away the essentials? Need a paddle for your canoe swimming circles? I love(d)??? BB but am growing short if this isn't obvious.  Report me as inappropriate and pehaps someone who cares will see there is a growing base of us who need a resolution to Link not installing....