Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Everything Everywhere (Orange)

Cannot transfer data from 9800 to Z10 using Link

Please forgive any mistakes with jargon or technical aspects - I am by no means an expert, I just need a phone that works and can keep me in touch and organised!

I used Link as directed to switch device. Everything appears to load from my old phone but as it reaches the end everything stops and I get the message "Data could not be copied to your device due to the following errors: There could have been a problem with the device or connection. Verify that the device is turned on and connected."

I have had a scout around on various forums and it looks like many others trying to use Link have a host of similar problems. I spoke to Customer Services at my network and they were no help - I was told that there is a known problem with Blackberry Link and it simply will not work until RIM release n update to fix the bugs.

They advised to try media card "device switch" but that does not work with Blackberry 6. So I backed up to my husbands 9790 (Blackberry 7) using Blackberry Manager and used "Device Switch" to save all data to media card. This went into the Z10 but when selecting"Device Switch" I just get links to pages with directions on how to perform a device switch!

I'm beginning to lose patience now - could someone from Blackberry advise if there will be a new version of Link released that will work?

Thank you in advance

L

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Cannot transfer data from 9800 to Z10 using Link

I have no doubt some people with certain computer setups are experiencing some issues but whoever told you it simply does not work without an update is incorrect.  I have used it 3 times already with 2 different Z10 phones without even a snag.  "The error you report would indicate that something, softwsre, connection etc interrupted the trandfer before it was done.

It is important none of the devices or touched or moved during the transfer process.

In my case, based on what i had read about Blackberry Link, I figured I would have no use for the Blackberry  desktop software.  So even before i picked up my Z10, I performed a cautionary backup of my Torch and then uninstalled all the blackberry software, device manger, desktop from my computer - everything. Then I installed a fresh copy of Blackberry Link and the day i got my Z10 - transfer went smoothly per instructions.  I later performed a separate bluetooth transfer of my contacts that had been on the sim card and not my phone.

I would try that and see if it helps.

1. Uninstall all previous blackberry sofware

2. Install Blackberry Link

3. Connect old phone and follow on screen prompts

Good Luck

New Contributor
My Device: 9800, Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

I am having a similar problem transferring from a 9800 to a Z10. The backup of the 9800 (using BB Link) went ok but when I plugged in the Z10 (same cable as the 9800) the Link software couldn't connect to the device.

So I cleaned off the old Desktop software, uninstalled Blackberry Link, re-booted, re-installed Link and now when I plug in the 9800 the link software shows the 9800 plugged in but will not connect to the device. In fact the 9800 shows on the bottom tab of but the "Transfer Data" button is grayed out. Meanwhile the 9800 volumes are completely available in windows explorer etc. - In fact I backup them up to my local drive just using drag and drop. So at this point I have no way to backup the 9800 nor transfer to the Z10.

I have used 3 different BB cables and 2 different PCs with no success.

Any recommendations welcome.

Regular Contributor

The connection/cable is not an issue if the computer identifies your phone and allows you access to the device drive.

Something else may be running and interfering with access to BB Link.

When you uninstalled the Desktop software, how many items did you remove from Add/Remove programs on your PC? Did you also remove the Device manager and Plug-Ins? It must be all unstalled prior to installling the Link software.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dumb Question for you - does the SIM need to be in the phone for the Desktop Software to communicate? (The Sim has been moved to the Z10.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Everything Everywhere (Orange)

Thank you for your swift reply!

I stripped everything blackberry related from my laptop and re-installed Link. It still has a "Communication" problem but I was able to transfer my data from my Torch to the Z10!

I will be sure to tell my network when I call them to moan later tonight!

Thank you for all your help

L

Regular Contributor

First of all you should not have or be using "Desktop Software" at all for this transfer. The SIM card is definitely not required for the transfer process. But out of curiosity when you say you moved it to the Z10, are you referring to the one you had in the 9800? That SIM will not fit in the Z10 unless you cut it down somehow.
New Contributor

Apologies, I'll have to retract the "moving of the SIM to the Z10" - I am working on this issue on behalf of someone else and was not present he purchased the Z10. I made the assumption (incorreectly!)

My original attempt to transfer the data from the 9800 to the Z10 was as stated - i.e. through BlackBerry Link  - all was good, backing up the 9800, but Link failed to connect to the Z10. After un/re-installing Link it will not connect to the 9800 though it recognizes it.

Re your comment on completely uninstalling Link, Device/Plug-ins etc.

I uninstalled Link (this is all on Win 7 Pro) but did not see any other BB-related Apps (device mgr & plugins) showing in "Programs And Features" - where can the uninstall be found for these?

thanks.

New Contributor

Update: I ddi a battery pull on the 9800 and Link now recognizes it properly - am in the Transfer - it's doing the backup now - will let you know if successful.

Thanks for all your help!
New Contributor

The 9800 battery pull fixed the problem. I have been able to transfer the data to the Z10 using BB Link. Everything transferred except the BBM contacts - is there another way to transfer these?

Thanks for all your help!