Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Visitor
privard
My Device: Q10

Console window flashing for split second frequently - Blackberry Link Communications Manager being the cause

I have been aggravated by a console window (black background with white letters, like the cmd run window) flashing  on my PC for a split second, a few times a minute.

After hours of troubleshooting and using ProcessMonitor to capture transactions on the PC, I managed to track the culprit to be "tunmgr.exe" which Windows Services lists as the executable of the Blackberry Link Communications Manager.

In retrospect, I then realized that the flashing console window problem started appearing upon installing and then upgrading the Blackberry Link.

To drill down further, I used Snagit to video the split-second flash of the evanescent console window, and thus managed to capture the content of the console window using Snagit's frame-by-frame feature.

The capture confirmed the suspicion that Blackberry Link Communications Manager was the cause of the problem.

Furthermore, the console's error message indicated that the argument "-Embedding" was not being recognized, causing the error console to popup.

I am using a Lenovo T430s,64-bit, running on Windows 8, connected to a Q10.

The solution was to kill PeerManager.exe via the taskmanager, which made the popup console window stay away.

I realize that I solved my own problem and that this forum is to post unsolved questions, but I thought worthwhile documenting this so that others facing the same problem do not also spend hours needlessly researching the issue.

I am also hoping that Blackberry developpers read these forum posts and use them to solve problems in between releases of the BB OS (e.g. by removing the argument "-Embedding" from the call to the executable "tunmgr.exe") , so that BB does not unduly lose reputational capital.

Forums Advisor III
gutijose14
My Device: Blackberry Q10 (OS 10.2.1.3247)

Re: Console window flashing for split second frequently - Blackberry Link Communications Manager being the cause

Hello Privard.

Greetings friend Thanks for the input I think it would be helpful your commentHopefullyMaster or Blackberry take into account your bounding.

Regards.

Kudos **Do not forget to give those people who help and advise you regarding your questions, as well give the answer like**

@ gutijose14

BBM Channels  PIN: C0007093A
Do not forget to give LIKE   Like Those people who help you and advise you about your doubts. Accept as Solution if the review has been SOLVED** # BBM 4LL4LL BlackBerry #ÉliteRoad Elite Make a backup of your BlackBerry
BlackBerry Protect and  BlackBerry Link constantly. BlackBerry #ichooseBlackBerry10 Gutijose14 Forums Advisor III  Gutijose14

bouralex

Re: Console window flashing for split second frequently - Blackberry Link Communications Manager being the cause

I'm running pretty much the same spec as privard, except on Win7 Home, and having exactly the same problem.

It all worked fine with the new laptop I got last week, and was syncing OK up until yesterday. Either a security patch or other piece seems to have played around with the Link application.

I might try and restore the machine to some point before it started playing up to test this hypothesis.

Any help would be much appreciated BB!!!

HuskyMD
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

This has been plauging me for months.  I am using a lenovo T420 with windows 8.  That command window pops up and disappears repeatedly - causing all kinds of grief.  I appreciate the posting of a fix - to kill PeerManager - but won't I have to do this ever single time I reboot my laptop?  Is there a permanent fix other than to delete the software?

Seanegee
My Device: z10

amazing thank you. 

New Contributor
Padraigl
My Device: Z10 and Playbook

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same flashing screen issue on a 64bit Win 7 system. It started about a month ago, after doing some upgrades. I did manage to track it down to the Peer Manager process. However, this does mean turning this off again every time I boot. And I also have then lost the use of that function. Not sure yet what that exactly means. I assume it's there for a reason. Surely there is a more permanent fix rather than this temp workaround.

New Contributor
jafauske
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I have solved this pop-up flashing command window (so far!) by rerunning the installer (123_b022_multilanguage.exe) and choosing "Repair".

I won't know if the other failures (Failed Sync of Outlook Calendar, Contacts, etc.) of Link have been solved until I can update my Z30 with yet another leaked OS update (as reported in another post here)!

Sad, sad decline of BlackBerry (RIM) software quality control.

Wish us "loyal fans" good luck that BB recovers their footing.

John F.

New Contributor
Padraigl
My Device: Z10 and Playbook

[ Edited ]

I have been struggling with this same problem and this suggestion sounds encouraging. However I can't find the 123_b022_multilanguage.exe file. I've searched my system and did a search on BlackBerry support.

Any suggestions ??

Running Windows 7 - 64 bit.

New Contributor
jafauske
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I found it at BlackBerry site [http://us.blackberry.com/]
Software - Desktop software - BlackBerry Link software for BlackBerry 10OS [http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop/blackberry-link.html]
Download for PC
Download Details
Software Name: BlackBerry Link v1.2.3.23 (Windows OS)
File Name: 123_b022_multilanguage.exe
Download Size: 161 MB
Published Date: 02/13/2014
New Contributor
Chriswm

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for this posting - my BB link has caused this momentarily  flashing over the screen and I also had to use an external programme to "capture the culprit" flashing over the screen, which turned out to be Blackberry Tunnel Manager (process tunmgr.exe).

I have had so many problems with my Q10 - I think this is now the last straw because I subsequently tried to uninstall Blackberry Link and it refused to uninstall (crash).  So now I have to find out how to force the Uninstall on my Lenovo Windows X64 laptop. I just about hate everyting about my BB Q10 by now.