Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: vodafone

Failing to install link

I have removed all of the previous blackberry desktop software but when I try installing link it gets almost to the end of the installation and then comes up with a message saying I still have files open from a previous version so it stops and uninstalls. How can I resolve this - I'm on a Win 7 machine.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 (OS 10.3.1.2726)
My Carrier: Movilnet

Re: Failing to install link

Hello LCC90

Welcome to http://supportforums.blackberry.com/

I recommend you uninstall the version of BB Link
Then restart your PC

Install the latest version of BBLink...

You can also search google for uninstall programs and remove all records of the program to eliminate.

Regards.

BBM Channels  PIN: C0007093A
Do not forget to give LIKE   Like Those people who help you and advise you about your doubts. Accept as Solution if the review has been SOLVED** # BBM 4LL4LL BlackBerry #ÉliteRoad Elite Make a backup of your BlackBerry
BlackBerry Protect and  BlackBerry Link constantly. BlackBerry #ichooseBlackBerry10 Gutijose14 Forums Veteran I Gutijose14

New Contributor

Thanks, I have removed all obvious files and programmes and then done a clean reboot. I also tried reinstalling BlackBerry desktop to see if I could then reinstall it ( hopefully that makes sense) but got the same error so now I can't use either programme to update my music etc.

Do you or the community have any other ideas for what I should do to resolve it?
Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 (OS 10.3.1.2726)
My Carrier: Movilnet

Hi LCC90

Could you share with us a picture of the error displayed will

Let me know if you have Net Framework installed on your PC?

Regards.

BBM Channels  PIN: C0007093A
Do not forget to give LIKE   Like Those people who help you and advise you about your doubts. Accept as Solution if the review has been SOLVED** # BBM 4LL4LL BlackBerry #ÉliteRoad Elite Make a backup of your BlackBerry
BlackBerry Protect and  BlackBerry Link constantly. BlackBerry #ichooseBlackBerry10 Gutijose14 Forums Veteran I Gutijose14

Community Manager
Community Manager
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Koodo

Hi! If possible can you complete the steps in the following KB to clean uninstall BlackBerry Desktop Manager & BlackBerry Link? After compelting these steps you should be able re-install BlackBerry Link successfully.

KB02206 - How to perform a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link

Please let us know how you make out. Thanks!

Did someone help you? Click Like! Did a post solve your issue? Click Accept as Solution!

Follow me on Twitter or Google+ and subscribe to the Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

New Contributor

Thanks, the problem I have now is that when Link wouldn't load,I unistalled the old BB Desktop SW without ticking the box to unistall all user profile data. Now I can't install Link or the older version of BB DEsktop as the same error message appears.
New Contributor
My Device: z10, stl100-3
My Carrier: t-mobile

Try this link-"askvg.com" and search "how to completely remove  a program; it may help"

New Contributor

I'm afraid I still get the same error. I followed the instructions and did find research in motion folders and files which I deleated, along with the temp files and I emptied my 'waste basket' but still no fix.
New Contributor
My Device: z10, stl100-3
My Carrier: t-mobile

Followed "askvg.com" to the letter? I say this as it's easy to miss something there as it's unfamiliar ground to most.

uninstall from control panel

remove files from program & (x86) foldrs
from
%program files%
%appdata%

Edited registry in all 4 areas? Make backup first!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software

64-bit system users will also need to check following extra key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node

Empty the temp or tmp folders, skipping those ID'd as needed. Do not fear emptying the temp files. I've done it enough times to feel safe doing it.

%temp% or %tmp%

If it still does not work you might ask the forum if there are files installed that are not in easily ID'd locations.

Or if you feel confident enough try the ctrl-f key as in the PS2 note.

I don't know if the install can be logged which could help determine which file it stops on. BB support can answer that I guess.

Good Luck

New Contributor

Thanks I'll go through it again just in case.