Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
Justin_L
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Bell

Link won't recognize Q10 on Mac

Hey, folks.

So I've got an issue, and I know I'm not the first to encounter it, but as far as I can tell, there's no good solution anywhere online.

I know there's been general connectivity problems between the Q10 and Link -- I used to have them on my old laptop, but it would always connect after some finagiling.

I bought a Mac a few months back. I connected by Q10 and backed up my data, transfers some pictures, etc.

But all of a sudden, a few months back, I simply couldn't connect via USB. Bluetooth transfers worked just fine, USB connections sort-of worked (in that I can transfer some data, sometimes, but it's always very touch-and-go.) But if I plug it in via USB, it's a no-go.

I can see the Blackberry in my Finder, but it's only via wi-fi. And my Mac won't let me connect to see the files.

Here's what I've tried: 

• Alternating mobile sharing settings, including -- turning on/off  'Blackberry Link' in the Q10's settings, turning on/off bluetooth, wifi, and airplane mode, turning on/off 'access using wifi', turning on/off  'use mobile network.'
  • Hard resets on the Blackberry, pulling the battery, pulling the media card, and restarting the Mac. (And all sorts of combinations therein.) 
  • Changing 'connect to Mac' to 'autodetect' and turning off/on 'USB mass storage.'
  • Removing the device from Blackberry Link, logging out of my Blackberry ID, and uninstalling and reinstalling Blackberry Link.
  • Changing the name of both my Blackberry and my laptop (initially, my Mac did think that my Blackberry was a previous model I had, because they had the same name.)
  • Plugging it on on a PC -- which worked.
  • Trying different Blackberry USB cords, deleting all my Blackberry data I could find on my Mac, and making sure that the USB connection is 'trusted' by the Mac.

It *sounds* like the easy solution is to backup my BB, format the whole thing, and restore it. But there's the trick -- I can't format it on my Mac, and transfering over all the data from another machine onto here, and hoping it all works out sounds like a risky endeavor.

So I'm basically stuck. I want to be able to pull off a lot of app data onto my laptop, and I just can't do that over wifi.

I'm at the point where I think I've tried *everything.* Any suggestions would be fantastically appreciated. I've always been more of a PC guy, so it could be that I'm missing something elemtary on my Mac. (For what it's worth: my iPad connects just fine.)

Please use plain text.
Developer
tezytan
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900/9780/9810
My Carrier: Singtel

Re: Link won't recognize Q10 on Mac

I had problems connecting my Windows phone and BlackBerry devices too to the macbook... though not with windows...

Did you double check your firewall settings?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Justin_L
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Link won't recognize Q10 on Mac

I've got no firewall. There ought to be nothing blocking it. I have no problems connecting anything else to my laptop. It's the weirdest thing.

Please use plain text.