Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Contributor
My Device: z30 and z10

Potential work around/temporary fix for "backup did not complete"

[ Edited ]

Hey guys,

I was able to backup my phone when I first got it and then I tried backing it up one day and it stopped working... after reading online about some apps causing problems, I decided to try and delete some of the latest ones I installed. Doing one at a time I eventually was able to backup, when I thought I found the "bad app" I re-installed one of the first apps I deleted, wouldn't backup again... turns out it wasn't any particular app (in my case).

Anyway! all this to say, that I think I found the issue some people are having. If you're application data is more than 675MB (give or take), Blackberry Link won't backup (for me)... I would backup my phone with whichever app at 672MB's, it would backup no problem, as soon as I would install another one, it would boost it up to 677MB's or above and it would be a no go... no particular app... I'm just guess 675MB, seems like it would make sense as a number.

Anyway, I'm curious if this is the case for other people. What is everyone's application data size at, who are having this issue? If any of you can, try going below 672-675MB and see if it works. Incase you don't know how, to view how many MB's you have, go to Settings within BB Link with your phone selected, and then check "Select data to include in your backup files"... give it a minute or so to load.

Hopefully this can be a fix for some people out there, until BB releases a patch.

Mike

Contributor

Re: Potential work around/temporary fix for "backup did not complete"

Well, sorry to report, but I tried backing up again, and it was a no go... not sure why... Nothing changed, I tried backing up at 673MB... it wouldn't work, deleted an app, brought me down to 669MB, and still a no go. Sorry for the false sense of hope. Not sure why it worked a few hours ago, and now it doesn't again.

Mike

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 & PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Well it's only what 3 or 4 months later and I still can't back up my phone.  Given the BB Z10 has 16GB of storage for Apps this limitation is super dumb.

Contributor

Have you updated to 10.1? All my issues were fixed after a few weeks of the release... also make sure that BlackBerry Link is up to date. if you're up to date I would contact your service provider and ask for a BlackBerry expert
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would upgrade if ATT didn't take their sweet time with the OS.

Been waiting for at least a month.  I wanted to use a leaked OS, but I can't do that without backing up.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Turns out this may be caused by Android Apps sideloaded. Try backing up just your settings. When you in BB Link click the Phone Tab than Click the Settings Gear and you can change what items the phone backs up. Try just the settings at first.

If that works and you have Android apps loaded you may need to remove the Android Apps.

BlackBerry needs to add better error messages or at the very least have error codes.  Not having error codes really makes troubleshooting a pain.