Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

Contributor
catkins
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: Problem Installing Blackberry Link on Windows 8

I had BB Desktop and managed to install BB Link okay the first time. However, I then had problems (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Link/Ooh-Blackberry-Link-why-do-you-so-vex-me/td-p... and decided to uninstall Blackberry software to make a fresh start - when it came to installing BB Link I got the two or three error messages including one about TIM Tunnel Driver - despite the uninstall including a deep search for files, I ended up using CCleaner and Advanced System Care to search for errant references in Registry - I deselected all files found (to ensure that I didn't muck up the whole computer deleting the wrong files) and then individually selected any file reference to RIM or Blackberry - you will probably find at least one that refers to RIM Tunnel Driver, plus several others.
Hopefully by carefully deleting just the RIM and BlackBerrry references you will then be able to install Link. I don't know why these references remained in Registry or why they prevent Link reinstallations.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
catkins
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: Problem Installing Blackberry Link on Windows 8

BTW - if you try CCleaner or Advanced System Care (or any other similar product) just for checking the Registry, make sure that you select only that option, as these products do a multitude of system checks that can take a lot of time!
And, as noted previously, making changes to Registry can cause major havoc to a computer if something is deleted when it is needed by the OS etc. - these programs can suggest files that should not be touched which is why I prefer to deselect everything and then only deliberated select the files I trust are safe to remove. Most programs now have an icon to show whether it is judged a safe item to remove or not - with most of the RIM & BlackBerry references it warned to use care if removing!
Please use plain text.
h33
Contributor
h33
My Device: Zed 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Problem Installing Blackberry Link Windows 7 64 bit

The problem described is exactly the problem I am having and if we don't find out how to properly download Link, I will return the Z10 - too bad, because I like the handset

To be clear, the Link program downloads from the website, but when the Install Shield starts, it freezes up and does not progress

I have dealt with RIM tech support, who have been helpful in suggesting solutions but the end result is the same - no resolution and lots of logs sent

We have tried the following ( I have a Dell i7 Windows 7 64 bit system)

- set up a new user profile

- tried a different computer (a Vista machine, but probably not very current in terms of updates)

- disabling Norton

- installing Norton

- running Windows Installer separately

- disabling UAC

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

hello,

I am at home, I read your message, and have just finished downloading the 1.0.0.75 install file.

Deal with your current Internet Service provider, use Mozilla Firefox or download it from another place (if you have a laptop, go to a Starbucks or a McDonald and use their free WiFi hotspot for instance).

and another thing: you say the download starts and then the installshield starts. I do not do that. I download the file, and once the file is downloaded, I simply launch it.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
h33
Contributor
h33

thanks for the advice - I presume this method worked for you?

I will try a Wi-Fi hotspot

i am using Firefox (also tried Explorer)

ISP (=BB service provider) has not been helpful

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

ISP = the people you pay to have your internet using the landline cord. Not related to mobile.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
h33
Contributor
h33

sorry  i wasnt clear - all my services are provided by one company

ISP=Rogers

Wireless carrier=Rogers

and

Telephone=Rogers

TV=Rogers

Why does your suggestion work by using an Internet Cafe, rather than my ISP (I havent tested it yet)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

because I have been able to download BlackBerry Link from three different ISPs.

Which probably indicates there is an issue with your ISP regarding BlackBerry servers.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
AA388
My Device: Z10 + Torch + Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone Uk

[ Edited ]

"Which probably indicates there is an issue with your ISP regarding BlackBerry servers"

Not really, it just says that what he's doing doesn't work.  About 30 times a year I go to customers who complain that a bit of software they have doesn't run and that it must be the manufacturers fault but nearly all are a Windows problems.

The most common problem I find it that the installer fails when it's trying to load a bit of the program that it's uncompressed into the windows/temp directory and it can't, so it either throws up a spurious error or just dies. making a new user or profile doesn't work as it's a global directory.

This might or may not work  but it's worth a try if you have a problem!

Go to "My Computer" the right click drive "C:\" then click onto "Properties" then  "Disk Cleanup" and let that run, put a tick in anything that says "Temporary files" then click OK.  Restart your Pc and then try it again.

J

Please use plain text.
h33
Contributor
h33

Thanks for the suggestion

You know, I have been thinking that this is a Microsoft issue as well, rather than a BB issue  - though I can't understand why it doesn't install on the upstairs Vista machine - other than that machine is so hopelessly out of date with updates that nothing would install on it

I ran the disk cleanup and still no luck

Preparing to spend the day with RIM technical support to get this resolved

Please use plain text.