Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Link

New Contributor
outoftheice
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Problem Transfering Contacts to Blackberry Z10

I was very excited to head out to the store today to upgrade my Torch 9800 to the new Blackberry Z10. I downloaded the new Blackberry Link program onto my laptop and selected the device switch option to transfer all of my contact information etc... between the two devices. I was devasted to see that none of the phone numbers in my contact list were transfered over. Aside from manually entering all of the phone numbers into my new phone is there a solution available for solving this problem?? I have found a forum on a third party website that says all contacts on the old phone need to be associated to an email address in order for things to work but I have no clue how to do that either. Transfering contact details is probably the most essential function a new user will need to complete. The fact that I'm having to turn to the help forums on day one suggests to me that this is a rather large over-sight on the part of Blackberry. I consider myself a loyal blackberry user and I'm about ready to throw my new phone out the window... I can't imagine what my mum or dad would be thinking right now. Please help!!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problem Transfering Contacts to Blackberry Z10

So, did all of the information in your contacts (email addresses, physical addresses, etc) transfer over, just not the phone numbers in each contact?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
outoftheice

I used my contact list on my Torch in a rather basic fashion... it essentially could be grouped into 2 categories. The first group would be contacts that appeared in my contact list due to being linked to my Facebook account. All of these contacts were transfered over to my Z10 and any information that these contacts had appearing in their facebook profile (such as addresses, phone numbers etc...) now appear in the contact list of my Z10. The second group would be contacts that appeared in my contact list when I selected "Create New Contact" in my Torch's Contact List and manually entered a name, phone number and address. None of the contacts that I added in this fashion transfered over to my Z10 nor did any of their information. I had numerous contacts in my Torch where I had manually entered Contact information and then linked the contact to their Facebook profile. Sadly, none of this information transfered over either. To make a long story short, essentially any contact information that was added into my Torch by using the "Create New Contact" feature did not transfer over. Any contact information that was linked to my Facebook account transfered over but only the information that the contact has listed on their facebook account (so no phone numbers for the majority of my facebook contacts). Any ideas??

Please use plain text.
JSanders

it sounds like you might have had more than one address book on your previous device, and only the information on the default address book might have transferred over.

On the old device, can you look at your Options > Status > menu key > Database sizes... do you see more than on Address book database?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
outoftheice

Well I was able to find the solution to my own problem. Apparently when I selected "Add New Contact" in the Contact List using my Torch, it automatically associated the contact with an email account that I used when I first set up my Torch but haven't actively used in years.When this account was transfered over to my Z10, I did not see the need to sync contact information that I assumed was out of date so I had turned this option off in the settings menu. By restoring this setting to the default 'On' setting, all of my contact phone numbers appeared. I guess this was a case of being too smart for my own good. A word to all those following in my footsteps... look at your old phone and in your Contact List under 'Options' verify what email address your contacts have been associated with. When you transfer the contact information over to your new phone, ensure that A: the associated email address is also transfered over and B: that the 'sync contact information' option is selected on.

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
outoftheice

Thanks very much for looking into this for me. It was an issue with having information associated with an email address book that I wasn't aware of. Thanks again! Cheers!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mayoo
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: BELL

Hey, thanks .. one of my friend has the same problem but he STOPPED USING that email now :smileyhappy: . he also forgot his password and that email never exists any more. How can he transfer ?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dburleigh43
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: bell

hello am having issue transferring contacts and calendar info from my old torch 9810, i have checked and  do have three address books one with an old email and 2 that say unknown . i have tried several times to transfer the data with no luck . any help?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

outoftheice wrote:
Thanks very much for looking into this for me. It was an issue with having information associated with an email address book that I wasn't aware of. Thanks again! Cheers!

You're welcome... glad I was able to lead you in the correct direction.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders

dburleigh43 wrote:

hello am having issue transferring contacts and calendar info from my old torch 9810, i have checked and  do have three address books one with an old email and 2 that say unknown . i have tried several times to transfer the data with no luck . any help?

You can use the Knowledge Base article here to merge those address Books.

Article ID: KB19704

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.